HELP! Boot problem after enabling then disabling RAID Promise onP4PE

Discussion in 'Asus' started by Ken Krone, Jun 5, 2004.

  1. Ken Krone

    Ken Krone Guest

    Thanks for reading this...

    I had an installation of Win2000 which had been running flawlessly on my
    P4PE until this AM. My IDE 120GB hdd was plugged into the Primary IDE
    socket.

    I received a new 120GB SATA hard drive that I had purchased for
    mirroring in RAID1. I moved my primary 120GB hdd to the RAID controller
    on the PRI_RAID socket of the mb, enabled the Promise RAID controller
    function, choose "Onboard ATA device first" yes and tried to boot,
    which it did not. The boot sequence showed that the bios for the RAID
    did not load, so I entered the Fasttrack and defined an array as a
    striped drive for my only 120GB hdd. I exited and tried booting, which
    did not work. Figuring that I could work that out later, I then shut
    down, installed the second 120GB hdd and chose up a RAID1 array. The
    mirroring process of the original drive with the new drive went well and
    I rebooted with the RAID controller enabled in BIOS on my motherboard
    and it did not work. I decided to go back to square one, so I disabled
    the RAID and hooked up my original hdd the way it had been on the same
    primary IDE connector, and tried to boot. The boot only goes as far as
    finding the PCI assignments, then stops at a flashing cursor instead of
    going on to load the Win2K operating system.

    I set the Win2K CD-Rom as the boot device, booted the Win2000 CD-Rom and
    selected the Repair option. The first option was to repair with the
    console, which basically gave me a boot into what appears and functions
    like DOS. I DIR'd my way through the various logical partitions and all
    of my data is there. I TYPE'd the boot.ini file and it has the standard
    command of multit(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1):\WINNT etc.

    I then ran through the boot with the Win2K again and chose the option
    that allows the operating system to repair itself. It ran through it
    paces but when that was finished, I removed the CD-Rom, rebooted, and I
    could still not boot into Win2K. The boot sequence stopped at the
    flashing cursor after the PCI devices were listed.

    So I am baffled as to how to get this disk, which is loaded with data
    and Win2K, to boot. I would not mind doing an install if someone can
    tell me which operating system files to back up on a different partition
    so that I could regain all of my settings and registered programs but I
    must be missing something simple in the boot sequence that needs to be
    repaired. The other question is what on earth happened during the
    attempt to set up the RAID that caused the problem in the first place.
    I have checked my BIOS settings but they do not appear to have changed.

    Many thanks in advance,
    Ken K
    Feel free to email me at the above corrected address...

    Jody Pellerin, Jun 5, 2004

  3. Ken Krone

    Ken Krone Guest

    Never touched the jumper on either drive. The jumper on the original
    drive was set at master; it was the only drive on the primary IDE
    cable. The SATA drive has no jumpers.

    Thanks,
    Ken

    Ken Krone, Jun 5, 2004
  4. Ken Krone

    Paul Guest

    Can you install the Promise driver while the original drive
    is connected to the vanilla IDE port ? Maybe then, when you move
    it over to the Promise controller, it will be ready ?

    Paul

    Paul, Jun 6, 2004
  5. Ken Krone

    Ken K Guest

    The driver is installed (1.0.0.8) and the RAID shows up under SCSI and
    RAID controllers. I have found that I can boot with a boot floppy in
    place to finish the
    sequence after the posting of the PCI assignments. The disk contains
    boot.ini, ntldr, and ntdetect.com. Those same files are on my hard
    drive but the hard drive will not load the operating system without the
    floppy with the same files. Does anyone know if there is a BIOS setting
    that I may have tweaked by mistake?

    Ken K, Jun 6, 2004