    Kindly suggest me the right configuration and help me.

    Regards,
    Minchu.

    minchu, May 5, 2004

  2. I'm not technically that proficient either, but I do know that any
    store recommending an inbuilt graphics card as part of a solution to a
    top-end graphics/animation set-up is talking absolute sh*t.

    Martin J Graham, May 5, 2004

  3. minchu

    sceptre Guest

    why not AMD?

    sceptre, May 5, 2004
  4. minchu

    Aaron Guest

    Well, if you don't like wasting time, and money is no object, here is
    what you need:

    You will want AMD Athlon 64 3400+ processor, or maybe equivalent Intel
    processor, myself, I prefer AMD. They're usually more performance for
    the money, but if money is not an object, then go with the highest
    scoring one benchmark-wise.

    For memory, go with 1GB DualChannel DDR400 (PC3200). This will be
    pricey, and make sure it is compatable with your motherboard.

    Video card current top of the line is ATI 9800 XT. Soon will be ATI
    X800 XT PE (Platinum Edition). Out soon, but not yet. Think $500.
    Check out GeForce if you like, I don't like.

    Soundcard top of the line is Soundblaster Audigy 2.

    Keep in mind, this is a money don't matter list.

    If you don't want to mess around building yours (why spend all that
    money and then not have it work 'cause you screwed something up),
    check out the following vendors:

    http://www.alienware.com
    http://www.falcon-nw.com

    I saw Falcon Northwest had a "bang for your buck" build, so maybe
    check that out.

    My computer buying rule: If you buy it at a store, don't get it. If
    it's a Dell "Outrageous Deal", don't even think about it. Sometimes
    these don't even come with CD burner!!

    E-mail if you need more info,
    Aaron

    Aaron, May 5, 2004
  5. All the above. Your computer is only as fast as the slowest part
    used, and any single slow part (assuming it is actually used) can be a
    bottleneck. A computer is a _system_ with parts that work together.

    You can't make a fast car if the fuel pump can only deliver small
    amounts of gas, or if the the air induction only delivers minimal air,
    or you get a limited ability to provide a spark, etc.

    I agree. Everything sounded OK (not the best, but OK) EXCEPT for that
    built in graphics. Onboard graphics will either have minimal RAM on
    the board, or will share the system RAM. Either is slower than if you
    a well designed dedicated graphics board. Though 40GB is rather small
    for a modern computer, particularly if you are storing complex
    graphics and animation (which can eat up a lot of space).

    I would bet that this shop has already built the computer, probably a
    year or two ago, and is now trying to get it out of inventory.

    Not familiar with the software you mentioned, but you did say you
    hated waiting for the monitor to refresh - and usually it's generally
    the graphics card that is the bottleneck in this type of situation.

    I don't know how much money you are willing to spend, or where you are
    located, but if you want graphics ability, look for gamer's computers.
    They tend to be geared towards graphics speed and quality.

    Anonymous Jack, May 5, 2004
  6. minchu

    scriptkiddy Guest

    What is your budjet? i agree about the onboard graphics that is not a
    good idea. most new motherboards dont have this so it does suggest the
    shop is trying to flog off a computer they have previously built.
    Graphics cards are not expensive and considering this is what you are
    using the system for it would be a good idea to invest in one around
    or above 128mb. They can be as low as £30 example the geforce mx4000.
    your decision but giving a target price would help alot! Have you not
    considered constructing your own system? its alot easier to do these
    days, there is a very comprehensive manual supplie with most
    motherboards, most with a quick start type sheet? <E-mail for more
    info is required>

    scriptkiddy, May 6, 2004
  7. minchu

    megabyte800 Guest

    I have to agree with everyone else here; an integrated (built-in)
    graphics system is totally unacceptable for any type of high-end
    graphics work. If you've got money to burn, I would recommend
    purchasing the Radeon 9800 XT as your graphics card.
    You'll also want a larger hard drive for animation and graphics
    work. 120 GB of storage or more is advisable. Also, a good way to
    avoid having to wait for the screen to refresh is to be sure to get a
    7200 RPM drive, not a 5400.
    512 MB of RAM is workable, but if you really want to kick ass,
    pull a GB.

    May your system have the power to tear time and space.

    megabyte800, May 10, 2004
  8. minchu

    SamZee Guest

    MUCH AGREED With ScriptKiddy and Megabyte.... Aaron, I would disagree
    with, SOMEWHAT, but for the most part, he had a good post.

    I WOULD NEVER EVER, Choose AMD over Intel. AMD's use way too much
    power and get really hot pretty quickly. Although they have a 64 bit
    processor, that really doesn't matter at all right now, being that
    there are no 64 bit programs known to man. And let me tell ya, there
    are 64 bit Intel processors, but they are not on the market yet.
    Hell theres even 128.. But that can be over doing it. [Example] The
    Makers of Lord of the Rings, Used comps with 4 gigs of RAM.... and
    Processors that were 128 Bit Intel Xeon. You said that it would be
    all about graphics and all of that. In that case, I would recommend
    getting an Alienware. Specifically, I would customize the Area-51
    Model. If your really Hardcore, and you really have the dough, go for
    a Rosewell. Rosewells are amazing, you can have Dual Xeon 3.4 Gghz
    Processors. And I would get the 256 Meg ATI Fire GL. Since that is
    one of the V-Card options that comes while Customizing the Rosewell.
    But that is really if you are hardcore. Otherwise, Dells are great
    too. Also I would really recommend the Sound Blaster Audigy 2
    Platinum Pro ZS 7.1 .... Amazing Top of the line sound card for all
    your gaming needs. And like ScriptKiddy said..... If 512 Megs of RAM
    doesnt float your boat, get a kick-ass 1 gig. [1024 MB] Xeons are
    amazing I suggest you get one and I cant think of much else to say!

    _____-SamZee-______

    SamZee, May 11, 2004
  9. minchu

    jamotto Guest

    I would have to partial disagree with this. When looking at "Thermal
    Design Power" / "Thermal Power"

    according to Intel's website
    http://support.intel.com/support/processors/pentium4/sb/cs-007999.htm

    and AMD's
    http://www.amd.com/us-en/assets/content_type/white_papers_and_tech_docs/26237.PDF

    If given the same heatsink and fan the Athlon XP 3200+ would run
    cooler than Intel's
    3.4E, 3.40, 3.20E, 3.20, 3.06, 3E, 3, 2.80E, 2.80A, 2.40A

    for the Athlon 64
    http://www.amd.com/us-en/assets/content_type/white_papers_and_tech_docs/30430.pdf

    AMD's Athlon 64 3400+ would run cooler than
    3.40E, 3.20E

    jamotto, May 11, 2004
  10. minchu

    Daz Guest

    Hi, right i have just built a new system & done my homework -
    hopefully this might help!

    I would choose AMD over Pentium anyday, they are cost effective and
    deliver satisfying results, that is not to say they are better/worse
    than Pentium - just a more realistic price.

    As someone just quoted, your PC is as fast as the slowest part,
    therefore a good motherboard is a good starting point. A good name,
    that has been given good reviews is a safe bet, i personally have
    opted for the Chaintech Zenith Ultra 7NJS - What a board!! (Approx
    £111 )

    Also i did my homework on Processors - i was going to go for an AMD
    3200, However someone suggested purchasing the 2500 model and clocking
    it to 3200, (easy peasy using the Chaintech MoBo)

    I have done this (fitting it with a ThermalTake Volcano 12 - a bit
    noisy but worth it) and it is running a dream !!

    The benefits of this are that a AMD 2500 chip is approx. £60 - whereas
    the 3200 is approx. £150 - £90 odd saved !!

    Obviously some good memory (Corsair) and equally a good Graphics card
    (NVIDIA)(NOT onboard) will also benefit this also.

    No doubt lots of people will slag me off saying overclocking is bad,
    as with AMD etc etc

    But a slightly clocked system with efficient cooling is not wrong !

    However i also run my system at its designed speed 2500, and still i
    get max results! (especially with good cooling)- but at least i have
    got the option of cranking the power up, when needed by simply
    adjusting FSB in Bios when required!

    I would also agree going for the AMD 64 bit range is a good idea, i
    too was going to opt for this, but i felt i got more for my money with
    what i ended up buying - Chaintech Zenith ultra - 512Mb Corsair Value
    Ram - Volcano 12 Heatsink - AMD 2500 chip - Altogether with P&P £250
    (sorry if u are working in another currency)

    Hope this has helped you some!
    Daz

    Daz, May 11, 2004
  11. minchu

    Norbert Hahn Guest

    You do not have to wait for 64 bit program to enter the market. The
    64 bit AMD CPU can handle floating point instruction a lot more efficient
    no matter if a program uses special instructions or common "32 bit
    instructions". So if you invest in a 64 bit AMD you immediately benefit
    with your current programs.
    Sure you can buy them, i.e. from HP. But the Intel 64 architecture
    is quite different from AMD's.
    128 bit of what?

    Address length? Register width? Memory bandwidth to cache - to RAM?

    Numbers alone are of no meaning.

    Norbert

    Norbert Hahn, May 11, 2004
  12. minchu

    arny Guest

    arny, May 23, 2004
  13. minchu

    loadedgoat Guest

    You do not want onboard graphics or audio, the rest sounds good.

    -loadedgoat

    loadedgoat, May 24, 2004