    happily as my good lady's officey type machine.

    can some-one out there give me any advice on how to get this to work.
    you wisdom will be gratefully received

    Grubby, May 12, 2006

  2. Grubby

    Ben Myers Guest

    Smoothwall Express 2.0 is firewall software with or without DHCP services? The
    usual way to set up a firewall is to have one NIC visible to the outside world
    and a second one for the inside world. Connected to the inside world's NIC is
    a network hub (or switch), to fan out the connections to two or more computers.

    This does not answer your question, but it may solve the problem as I envisage
    it. The PB system may simply be too old to support 3 NICs... Ben Myers

    Ben Myers, May 12, 2006

  3. Grubby

    Grubby Guest

    Thanx for replying to my post.

    I think you may be right about BP machine. It could well be time for
    the old boy to retire.
    If that's the case, then I'll just buy a small network router and be
    done with it. The BP was/is a bit of a daft "project", a use for my
    good lady's old "officey" type machine.
    As far as Smoothwall is concerned, you may be able to shed some light
    on this "login" prompt that Smoothwall requires after OS load.
    It may appear a dumb question, I am familiar with "login" type
    procedures (got to use them at work). I have tried virtually
    everything that seems relevant to the information requested when
    installing the OS; machine name, hostname, passwords, even the
    SmoothWall URL displayed at the login screen.Nothing!
    Maybe I'm missing something obvious, but ?
    So if you know the answer, I'd be very grateful for a howto.
    Willie Clark

    Grubby, May 13, 2006