    happily as my good lady's officey type machine.

    can some-one out there give me any advice on how to get this to work.
    you wisdom will be gratefully received

    Grubby, May 12, 2006

  2. Grubby

    metronid Guest

    Must be the minitower.
    Is the one that is not working in the pci/isa slot
    You now this all can be done with a networking hub

    metronid, May 12, 2006

  3. Grubby

    metronid Guest

    I use a firewall router that connects to my cable modem
    The router also go to my other computers
    They can each use the internet and talk to each other
    Comcast is my provider.

    If you user a non firewall router then comast tries to assign a different IP
    to each computer.
    This they may charge for
    The firewall router uses just one IP seen by comacst at the router.

    You could also if available use the USB to the cable modem if drivers are
    available for it and your OS
    I think win98se is the lowest for RCA newer models for USB
    I believe that Motorolla Surfboard support usb in win98
    I do not know your model
    Then you will only need 2 nic cards

    metronid, May 12, 2006
  4. Grubby

    Grubby Guest

    Thanx for the reply

    The non functioning card is in a PCI slot. there are three on the
    riser card. After trawling online last night I found out that one of
    the PCI slots shares with one of the ISA slots.Information found
    online points to the 680 mb supporting three PCI slots. Now, if that
    is true, why is it not recognizing the three cards ? Tried assigning
    IRQ's to empty slots, unassigning IRQ's form empty slots, tried saying
    bad words to it, like skip, trash, crusher, and please. Tried threats
    of violence, tried persuasion. Nada !
    If it turns out that the PB is indeed to much of an old codger to
    function in today's white heat of techno innovation, then retirement
    beckons, and a sparkly new network router will be obtained and I will
    get back to proper work: but if I can get it to go, then I'll string
    this daft "project" out for a few more weeks (more likely
    days...patience will probably wear thin, partner will start to "nip ma
    heid", I will nip hers (heid that is), and project will be "shelved",
    closely followed by a purchase of aforementioned sparkly new router
    thingy.
    cheers
    willie clark

    Grubby, May 13, 2006