    Booted from the boot disk. Shift+F5 goes to Prompt. And got bad command
    after typing format c:

    Please help!

    smithsfallsbuilding, Jul 29, 2006

  2. smithsfallsbuilding

    Ben Myers Guest

    You do not have a proper bootdisk there, probably only the lame one produced by
    Windows 95/98/ME during software installation.

    Go to www.bootdisk.com and download the software to create the boot disk of your
    choice. Make the disk, then boot with it and try to format again... Ben Myers

    Ben Myers, Jul 29, 2006

  3. smithsfallsbuilding

    Jonny Guest

    No shift. No F anything. A bootable diskette takes you directly to a
    command prompt.
    A bootable diskette (copy system files with windows explorer) does not
    contain the file fdisk.exe, whereas, a startup diskette does.

    Jonny, Jul 29, 2006
  4. smithsfallsbuilding

    Ben Myers Guest

    Shift-F5 actually is for Safe mode Command Prompt. Try using the arrow
    to select "Command Prompt", pressing "Enter", then selecting "Start
    computer with CD support".

    Ben

    Ben Myers, Jul 29, 2006
  5. smithsfallsbuilding

    Ben Myers Guest

    Somebody is impersonating me, or maybe there are two mes? ... Ben Myers

    Ben Myers, Jul 29, 2006
  6. smithsfallsbuilding

    PCR Guest

    Have you sat at an XP-machine? That could split you in two!

    Put the Startup Diskette in, & turn on the computer, to boot it. But, if it's already on, just Ctrl-Alt-Del.

    --
    Thanks or Good Luck,
    There may be humor in this post, and,

    PCR, Jul 29, 2006
  7. smithsfallsbuilding

    Maryland Ben Guest

    Sorry for not reducing the cross posting.

    Ben

    Maryland Ben, Jul 29, 2006
  8. smithsfallsbuilding

    êîáà Guest

    êîáà, Jul 30, 2006
  9. It is not fdisk.exe he wants. It is format.com. Bad command means that the
    file was not found in the path. Format.com is found on the startup disk
    created with Windows 98SE. It is loaded into a RAM drive. It is not loaded
    if you choose Minimal Boot. If you do not make a choice, you go to the Help
    File. Shift-F5 takes you to the Command Prompt within the Help File. The
    underlying operating system is the Minimal Boot. You have to Choose CD
    Support/No CD Support to get the fully operational MS-DOS.

    Earl F. Parrish, Jul 31, 2006