Help: Can't Add 2nd Hard Drive to a Dell GX1

Discussion in 'Dell' started by Darren Harris, Jan 23, 2004.

  1. I have a Dell GX1 with all original hardware, and have been trying to
    add a second hard drive to it.

    The cable has two connectors. The connector at the end of the cable is
    connected to the original 6 Gig hard drive. In that configuration,
    everything works fine.

    But when I connect the unused connector to the "new" 6 Gig hard drive,
    and attempt to boot up, I get the following message: "No boot device
    available-
    Strike F1 to retry boot, F2 for setup utility."

    Now if I take the new drive out of the loop, and use the free
    connector on the original hard drive(instead of the correct one at the
    end of the cable), I get the following message: "Primary hard disk
    drive 0 not found. Strike the F1 key to continue, F2 to run the setup
    utility."

    Could the problem be that connector on the cable?

    In the BIOS, under "Primary", Drive 0 is set to "AUTO", and Drive 1 to
    "NONE".

    Under "Secondary", both Drive 0 and Drive 1 are set to "AUTO".

    So, I tried different combinations to no avail.

    I really need to get this done, and any help would be greatly
    appreciated.

    Thanks a lot.

    Darren Harris
    Staten Island, New York.

    Darren Harris, Jan 23, 2004

  2. Darren Harris

    Bill Mills Guest

    both drives should be jumpered for cable select. The drive on the end of
    the ide cable is drive 0, the drive on the middle of the ide cable is drive
    , set bios setup to auto for primary 0 and auto for primary 1.

    Bill

    Bill Mills, Jan 23, 2004

  3. Darren Harris

    John and Pat Guest

    First of all the Primary should be set in the BIOS so that both Drive 0 and
    Drive 1 are AUTO. Also be sure that the other drive (the drive you are
    adding) is jumpered for CS (Cable Select). The original drive should be at
    the last plug and the second drive at the next plug down the line.

    Regards,
    John O.

    John and Pat, Jan 23, 2004
  4. Okay, I jumpered the "new" drive for cable select, and the machine
    booted all the way to the desktop.

    Unfortunately, my system does not find the "new" hard drive. It's like
    I installed nothing.

    That drive is a Fujitsu MPE3064AT:
    www.fujitsu.com/au/services/technology/hdd/models/MPE3xxxAT-Series.html

    The original drive which is a Western
    Digital(http://support.ap.dell.com/docs/storage/9674e/) was also
    already jumpered to cable select.

    So with both still set to "AUTO" under "Primary" in the BIOS, I
    jumpered the original to Master and the "new" drive to slave. When I
    booted, I received the following message:

    "Primary hard disk 0 not found"
    "Primary hard disk 1 not found"
    "Strike the F1 key to continue, F2 to run the setup utility".

    Any other ideas?

    Thanks a lot.

    Darren Harris
    Staten Island, New York.

    Darren Harris, Jan 23, 2004
  5. Darren Harris

    Hank Oredson Guest

    Hank Oredson, Jan 23, 2004
  6. Darren Harris

    Bob Schor Guest

    Could be a "Cable Select" issue. I'm not an expert here, but I
    believe most Dell machines are shipped with the drives set for Cable
    Select. What this means is that the primary drive is determined by
    being plugged into the (I think it is the) last connector on the
    cable. Thus plugging the same drive into the other connector would
    result in "Primary drive not found". Check the jumpers for your new
    drive -- are they set for "Cable Select"? If not, then this would
    explain why having both drives on the cable didn't work.

    If all else fails, you can also simply set the jumpers so that one
    drive is set to "Master" (or "Master with Slave Present") and the
    other to "Slave".

    Bob Schor

    Bob Schor, Jan 25, 2004
  7. This is perfectly normal behaviour. The GX1 uses cable select NOT
    master/slave. The position on the cable dictates which is device 0 and
    which is device 1 - the drive on the end furthest from the motherboard is
    device 0. So when you move the original hard disk to the innermost
    connector, it is now device 1 and the bios reports and erros as it can no
    longer find device 0. To get the two devices working, set them both to
    cable select, put the original back where it was on the endmost connector,
    and connect the new drive to the innermost connector. Go into the bios
    using F2 and set the second device on the primary IDE channel to AUTO to
    match the setting on the first device (the second device is probably
    currently set to NONE). Reboot.

    Peter Felgate, Jan 27, 2004
  8. Thanks.

    I had done all this, and both drive were cable select. But all this
    became moot when the original Dell drive failed the other day. So I
    put in a second 6.4Gb Fujitu drive, bringing the total to two.

    After I, with some difficulty, installed Windows98(SE), I noticed that
    in "My Computer" the first drive was represented as being 3.99GB, and
    the second as 6.01GB. This tells me that all of the space(on the first
    drive at least) is not being used.

    After choosing option #4, which is "Display Partition Information" on
    the FDISK Options" screen, I get the following:
    ---------- ---------- ---------- ----------
    Current fixed disk drive: 1

    Partition Status Type Volume Label Mbytes System Usage
    C: 1 A PRI DOS 6173 FAT32 100%

    Total disk space is 6173 Mbytes (1 Mbyte = 1048576 bytes)

    In the BIOS(A04) I get the same info for both drives("0" and "1"):

    Type Cyls Hds Pre LZ Sec Size
    Auto 788 255 -1 788 63 6481

    Any ideas would be apprciated.

    Thanks a lot.