Help! Can't overclock AMD 1.2 GHz via CPU Ratio (K7T266 Pro (MS-6380))

Discussion in 'MSI' started by JL, Oct 17, 2003.

  1. JL

    JL Guest

    I have a AMD Athlon 1.2 GHz (266 MHz FSB) that I'm trying to overclock
    via the clock multiplier on my K7T266 Pro (MS-6380) mobo.

    Right now the CPU ratio is set to Auto in the Hardware Monitor in the
    BIOS, but I know that it's using a clock multiplier of 9 (i.e. 9 x 133
    MHz internal clock = 1197 MHz, which gives me my 1.2 GHz CPU)

    The only way that I can overclock this CPU right now is by increasing
    the FSB above 133 MHz. That works, but I'd like to avoid that as the
    USB no longer works when the FSB is past 138 MHz (i.e. I can't OC
    higher than 1242 MHz through the FSB without losing my USB). It seems
    that losing the USB when the FSB is past 138 MHz is a known limitation
    with this mobo's chipset.

    That's why I want to overclock by increasing the clock multiplier (CPU
    ratio). But if I set the clock multiplier above 9 (ex: 9.5, 10, etc.)
    nothing happens. I reboot and my CPU is still at 1.2 GHz. Its as if I
    can't OC by increasing the CPU ratio. Ideally I'd like to set the
    clock multiplier to 10 and run my CPU at 1.33 GHz but I can't. Why is
    that?

    If as a test I lower my CPU ratio below 9, then the computer freezes
    up totally at bootup and I have to clear the CMOS to get it working
    again.

    (The motherboard is using AMI BIOS version 1.4. CPU max temp is 42
    Celcius @ 1.2 GHz)

    THANKS!

    JL, Oct 17, 2003

  2. JL

    lyset Guest

    As far as I remember that CPU is locked.
    There should be a guide on tomshardware and similar sites howto get it
    unlocked.

    lyset

    lyset, Oct 17, 2003

  3. JL

    JL Guest

    As far as I remember that CPU is locked.

    Yeah, that's what its starting to look like. I'll give that a shot.

    Thanks!

    JL, Oct 18, 2003