HELP: Dead mainboard, dead CPU, or...?

Discussion in 'IBM' started by Sydtech, Jul 10, 2004.

  1. Sydtech

    Sydtech Guest

    I got home today and found that my main PC (Intel 2.8E on an Abit
    IC7-G mainboard) was off. Attempted to power it up - nothing. Weird.
    Up until now, this system has been rock solid since I built it in
    March.

    I popped the hood and looked (and smelled) – didn't smell anything
    scorched – and the green LED was lit on the motherboard, so it
    appeared to be getting at least some juice. Yanked the power cord,
    waited a minute, and tried again – the CPU and Northbridge fan
    twitched a bit, but still no dice. Tried unplugging the PS and
    resetting the CMOS jumper – still no go.

    I suspected maybe the PS was flaking out, so I ran over to
    Computerstop and got a new one. This didn't fix the problem.

    Now I'm a bit worried. Is there an easy way to tell if it's the
    mainboard or the CPU? Or none of the above?

    Thanks...

    Sydtech, Jul 10, 2004