HELP: Dell MBR Factory Restore Image option lost

Discussion in 'Laptops' started by Andrew Wan, Jul 9, 2008.

  1. Andrew Wan

    Andrew Wan Guest

    I have a Dell Vostro 1400 laptop with Windows Vista. I learnt about
    the F8 "Advanced Recovery Options". Dell has a SPECIAL option called
    "Factory Default Restore Image"... whereas normal Windows Vista
    Advanced Recovery Options don't have this last SPECIAL option.

    Since I just bought this new laptop, I decided to TEST the recovery
    features NOW rather than LATER. So I used the "Factory Default Restore
    Image" via F8. It worked really well and is very similar to OEM
    "sealed" out-of-box experience with Windows XP back in the old days.

    Partitions are like:

    /dev/sda1 fat16 117.63MB (63/240974)
    /dev/sda2 ntfs 10GB (241664/21213183) RECOVERY
    /dev/sda3 ntfs your_size (?/?) OS
    /dev/sda4 extended your_size (?/?)
    /dev/sda5 fat32 2.5GB (307337216/312578047) MEDIADIRECT

    The only visible partition is C:\. I want to have C:\ OS & D:\
    PERSONAL_DOCS partitions. Since we are only allowed 4 top-level
    primary partitions I had to resize /dev/sda3 OS partition down to 32GB
    from 110GB. Then I enlarged /dev/sda4 extended partition from 2.5GB to
    100GB to fill the space created from C:\. I then created a logical
    partition within the extended partition... which is now D:\ of 100GB.

    I used PartedMagic GParted to resize partitions.

    Everything looks good. Now I want to test whether Dell's Factory
    Restore Image will nicely fill in NEW C:\ and keeping my NEW D:\
    untouched. My F8 option has totally changed. Somehow Windows Vista
    found the MBR corrupted and replaced it with generic MBR. My F8 is now
    generic boot options... with no Advanced Recovery Options.

    Does anyone know how to get the Dell's special MBR again?

    Andrew Wan, Jul 9, 2008

  2. Andrew Wan

    Paul8 Guest

    I think I have been just as clever. As soon as I did change the partitioning, my Dell
    factory restore Image disappeared.
    I dont know how to regain that Dell default image.
    Instead I have installed True image11, providing system image backup and restore.
    Making your own image with your own software and configuration is much more interesting.

    Paul8, Jul 9, 2008

  3. Andrew Wan

    S.Lewis Guest

    Rich,

    Probably has nothing to do with your expertise. As a general rule, I don't
    screw around with the Dell factory partitioning much at all for this very
    reason (deleting or altering partition sizes/properties tends to blow up the
    restore function).

    When I began "playing" with my XPS420, I simply accepted the fact that the
    original partitioning and restore image would be lost.

    I understand that there are methods to perhaps restore some of the original
    partitions if done properly - some of them fairly complex, but it's never
    been a priority of mine to pursue them - nor has the factory restore
    partition ever been that important to me personally.

    I also tend to prefer to use the entire capacity of my drives with little
    extra partitioning.

    Stew

    -Stew

    S.Lewis, Jul 9, 2008
  4. Andrew Wan

    BillW50 Guest

    In Doughnut typed on Thu, 10 Jul 2008 23:19:14 +0100:
    I use BartPE, but I have never seen a command prompt there. How do you get
    there? Through the Task Manager (I don't even know if BartPE has the Task
    Manager)? Plus I would love to have BartPE on an USB flash drive. As it
    would be very handy for this Asus EEE PC for one.

    BillW50, Jul 13, 2008