    value brand, and what price can I expect? (Basic ADSL for Mac; not
    wireless.)

    Thanks.

    Newbie, Oct 21, 2007

  2. Newbie

    J.J. O'Shea Guest

    Any DSL modem on the market should work just fine. If there's a CompUSA near
    you, it should have two or three to choose from. If I were you I'd get a
    router while I was at it, but that's me.

    J.J. O'Shea, Oct 21, 2007

  3. Aren't they able to answer that question?

    Mike Rosenberg, Oct 21, 2007
  4. Newbie

    Newbie Guest

    My modem conveniently died on the weekend. Their business office will
    open Monday morning. :)

    Newbie, Oct 21, 2007
  5. Newbie

    Newbie Guest

    If I understand correctly, that would help only if we plan to connect
    two or more computers to internet?

    Or is it necessary even if we might want to connect one computer
    wirelessly one day?

    Still, I do see that now is the time decide before buying a new modem.

    When you say router, is that a separate item from modem or is that just
    a more complex kind of modem?

    Sorry, not sure about such basics! Thanks for all help.

    Newbie, Oct 21, 2007

  6. I believe that chain went out of business.

    Did in my region anyway.

    D. Kirkpatrick, Oct 21, 2007

  7. The question is whether the modem is actually "Dead". Unfortunately a
    DSL line can fail or become less-capable of maintaining a connection
    at the DSL speed and signal when a dial-up modem will still work.

    If you are adept at testing all parameters and can deduce the DSL
    modem is dead, then OK, but a series of tests with and without micro
    filters in the line, disconnecting phone devices, checking at the NID
    will be called for.

    D. Kirkpatrick, Oct 21, 2007
  8. Newbie

    Newbie Guest

    Here too. Best Buy, Circuit City, and Micro Center is all I can think
    of if I had to buy locally.

    Newbie, Oct 21, 2007
  9. Seriously? They don't let you talk to someone on the weekend?

    Mike Rosenberg, Oct 21, 2007
  10. They appear to have left some regions, but they're still in business. I
    can't say I understand why anyone intentionally goes into one of their
    stores, though.

    Mike Rosenberg, Oct 21, 2007
  11. Newbie

    J.J. O'Shea Guest

    It also will NAT away your computer, so that annoying people have a problem
    getting on your machine remotely.
    Not necessary, but a good idea.

    And if you're using wireless, do NOT use WEP.
    Separate from the modem.

    J.J. O'Shea, Oct 21, 2007
  12. Newbie

    J.J. O'Shea Guest

    They're very much alive around here. There are three stores within 30 miles
    of me.

    J.J. O'Shea, Oct 21, 2007
  13. Newbie

    J.J. O'Shea Guest

    Come on. It's not like they were <shiver> Circuit City </shiver>.

    J.J. O'Shea, Oct 21, 2007
  14. I don't know much about Circuit City, but my clients have told me enough
    stories about their visits to CompUSA to make me conclude that:

    1. Their employees don't know anything.
    2. They're trained, when asked a question the can't answer, to make up a
    response.

    Mike Rosenberg, Oct 21, 2007
  15. Newbie

    Bill Rider Guest

    I think the first test is to disconnect the modem from the computer,
    power off the modem, power it on, and see if it will sync in a minute or
    two.

    My Bellsouth installation software opened a page in Safari:
    http://launchmodem/homeSumBS.htm

    I bookmarked it. It will let me talk to my modem whether or not the
    phone line is connected. I can have the modem do a self-test and get
    statistics about my DSL connection, for example.

    Bill Rider, Oct 21, 2007
  16. Newbie

    J.J. O'Shea Guest

    True. (Mostly. There are one or two who know something.)
    Also true. (Again, mostly.)

    So don't ask 'em anything. The main advantage CompUSA has is that it has a
    _lot_ of stuff all in one place. I go there to have a look at stuff before
    buying, and to check pricing. If the prices there are better than prices +
    shipping from some website, I buy there. (And, also, for certain items, such
    as large printers, it's nice to have somewhere to return it to that doesn't
    involve boxing it up and paying FedEx.) But I don't ask questions.

    Circuit City, now, that place is actively _dangerous_.

    J.J. O'Shea, Oct 21, 2007
  17. The CompUSA a couple of miles from here has one Apple employee, working
    in the Apple section there. _He_ is quite knowledgeable, but since he
    doesn't work for CompUSA I'm not counting him. The actual employees
    don't like him much.
    That's the problem. *I* don't have any reason to ask them anything, but
    the unsuspecting public doesn't know not to. The people going there for
    Mac-related stuff who aren't lucky enough to go during the one Apple
    employee's 40 hours a week are at their mercy.
    I'm not sure I've ever seen anything at CompUSA that I can't get for a
    better price at Office Depot or Staples locally, and definitely online
    somewhere, and the office stores are much better about returns.

    Mike Rosenberg, Oct 21, 2007
  18. Newbie

    Newbie Guest

    LOL you can certainly *talk* to somebody in some remote place
    somewhere, :) but are told to call back during business hours for this
    kind of issue.

    Newbie, Oct 21, 2007
  19. Newbie

    Newbie Guest

    If you are adept at testing all parameters...
    I am not adept at all but during the last few weeks, as my connection
    was getting weaker and weaker, I learned all these steps. For a while
    it did work. But now nothing works: rebooting the modem, disconnecting
    and reconnecting, rebooting the computer, some combination of these.
    Only lights go on and off forever.

    The diagnosis that modem is dead was by AT's tech, although they never
    came here.

    Dial up does work, thank God I have an older computer so it does have
    an internal dialup modem. That's what I am using right now but this is
    extremely unpopular with family as it ties up the phone, one reason why
    got the dsl in the first place.

    Newbie, Oct 21, 2007
  20. In contrast, with Bellsouth one can handle this over the weekend.

    Mike Rosenberg, Oct 21, 2007