HELP!! dvd burner won't detect blank media after Sony DVD-RW

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by wazzoo, May 9, 2005.

  1. wazzoo

    wazzoo Guest

    I hope someone can offer some ideas to my problem...

    I received a Sony DVD-RW blank in a care package from England (I'm in
    Canada). I don't think blanks are region coded, are they?

    The blank is a Sony DMW120VD version 1.1 with CPRM

    I tried to burn some data files onto the DVD using Nero. Nero froze
    when verifying the data.

    Now the burner will not recognize:
    --Blank Sony DVD
    --Blank Generic Canadian DVD's
    --Previously Recorded DVD's

    Nero Drive Info says No media inserted

    The burner will recognize:
    --Commercial DVD's
    --Blank CD's (will burn them OK)
    --Previously recorded CD's

    But, that's not all folks, there's more...

    If I put in the Sony DVD, I can format it using Sonic's DLA. I can then
    record OK to the DVD using DLA

    If I put a blank Generic DVD-R into the drive and click on format, it
    informs me that the media is burn once only. This while every other
    program is saying no disk in drive.

    wazzoo, May 9, 2005

  2. wazzoo

    smh Guest

    Mike Richter, were you born with
    "Scam Artist" emblazoned on your face?
    --------------------------------------
    From DLA readme:

    12. Conflict with Nero software
    If Nero disc mastering software is installed on your computer,
    DLA will not recognize blank discs. The work-around for
    this conflict is to temporarily uninstall Nero's software. Nero
    products do not affect DLA's ability to read discs
    containing data.

    There may be more conflicts between the two. Try uninstall DLA, Nero,
    run Nero Clean Tool, and then install only Nero and see if the problems
    disappear.

    http://www.nero.com/us/General_Clean_Tool.html
    '

    Who Is Mike Richter and
    Why Are They Saying All These Horrible Things About Him?
    http://tinyurl.com/6eldj

    (No Mikey S-lickers have been able to prove ANY of the following is)
    ( a LIBEL -- despite Mikey claimed to have proof of misquotes !! )

    Mike Richter is a LIAR (wife beating)

    Mike Richter is a LIAR (critical bugs)
    Mike Richter is a LIAR (major bug)

    Mike Richter is a LIAR (nda limit)
    Mike Richter is a LIAR (nda)

    Mike Richter is a LIAR (no secret)
    Mike Richter is a LIAR (no secret)(ii)

    Mike Richter is a LIAR (dae)

    Mike Richter is a LIAR (enhanced-cd)
    Mike Richter is a LIAR (no enhanced cd)
    Mike Richter is a LIAR (enhanced-cd/cdr-faq)

    Mike Richter is a LIAR (cd-extra/cd-text)
    Mike Richter is a LIAR (cd-extra/sao/tao)(i)
    Mike Richter is a LIAR (cd-extra/single-session)

    Mike Richter is a LIAR (aspi/winme)(i)
    Mike Richter is a LIAR (aspi/winme)(ii)

    Mike Richter is a LIAR (aspi/win2k)(i)
    Mike Richter is a LIAR (aspi/win2k)(ii)
    Mike Richter is a LIAR (aspi/win2k)(iii)
    Mike Richter is a LIAR (aspi/win2k)(iv)

    Mike Richter is a LIAR (aspi/plextor)

    Mike Richter is a LIAR (directcd/eject)(i)
    Mike Richter is a LIAR (directcd/eject)(ii)
    Mike Richter is a LIAR (directcd/eject)(iii)
    Mike Richter is a LIAR (directcd/eject)(iv)
    Mike Richter is a LIAR (directcd/eject)(v)
    Mike Richter is a LIAR (directcd/eject)(vi)
    Mike Richter is a LIAR (directcd/eject)(vii)
    Mike Richter is a LIAR (directcd/eject)(8a)
    Mike Richter is a LIAR (directcd/eject)(9a)

    Mike Richter is a LIAR (directcd/sparing) (i)
    Mike Richter is a LIAR (directcd/sparing) (ii)
    Mike Richter is a LIAR (directcd/sparing) (iii)
    Mike Richter is a LIAR (directcd/sparing) (iv)
    Mike Richter is a LIAR (directcd/sparing) (v)
    Mike Richter is a LIAR (directcd/sparing) (vi)
    Mike Richter is a LIAR (directcd/sparing) (vii)
    Mike Richter is a LIAR (directcd/sparing) (viii)
    Mike Richter is a LIAR (directcd/sparing) (ix)
    Mike Richter is a LIAR (directcd/sparing) (x)
    Mike Richter is a LIAR (directcd/sparing) (xi)
    Mike Richter is a LIAR (directcd/sparing) (xii)

    Mike Richter is a LIAR (supplied cd)

    What's wrong with Mike Richter (Tim Kroesen) (i)
    What's wrong with Mike Richter (Tim Kroesen) (ii)

    Mike Richter Wow! Wow! Wow!

    Mike Richter's Exquisite Sense of Time (i)
    Mike Richter's Exquisite Sense of Time (ii)
    Mike Richter's Exquisite Sense of Time (iii)

    Mike Richter & "Looooooooonng" Time for Nothing

    What an Asshole

    smh, May 9, 2005

  3. wazzoo

    wazzoo Guest

    Thanks for your help.

    I'm beginning to think that its a hardware failure. (Toshiba SD R5272)
    I've tried uninstalling all DVD burning software, then re-installing
    only Sonic.

    I've tried deleting the device and letting Windows re-install the
    drivers. (Toshiba's tech support suggestion)

    I've tried re-installing the firmware twice.

    No luck.

    It's still reading and burning CD's OK, but it will not read non-
    commercial DVD's (except burned Video DVD's, and then intermittantly).

    I also tried using a Knoppix Linux on a CD to see if it is recognized,
    but nothing in Linux... maybe no drivers in Knoppix though.

    If you can think of anything else I can try... else the scrap heap, I
    guess.

    Thanks again.

    wazzoo, May 11, 2005
  4. wazzoo

    smh Guest

    Mike Richter, were you born with
    "Scam Artist" emblazoned on your face?
    --------------------------------------
    That rules out the possible software conflict of Nero & DLA as the
    cause.
    The laser for cd is ok, but the laser for dvd became weak? But then why
    DLA has no problem?
    Well, it's not the software conflict or firmware issue. That leaves...
    But then why no problems with DLA?

    Read about the user comments:
    http://www.videohelp.com/dvdwriters.php?DVDnameid=238&Search=Search&list=

    (LG GSA-4165B is supposed to be released sometime this month, then LG
    GSA-4163B price may come down.)
    '

    smh, May 11, 2005