    t1840) wont turn on. it gets to the windows screen and turns off. i wanted to
    know if anyone can helf me either fix my old pc's problem or how i can get
    the files from the non-working pc to a new one.

    grnwavlb160, Mar 28, 2006

  2. grnwavlb160

    Jay B Guest

    its easy to transfer the data from the old drive to a new dell.
    simply open the case without using any tools, attach the drive to the
    end of a ribbon cable going to one of your cd's and boot up the new system.
    then copy off the files from the old drive into a folder on the new
    drive so you have everything that was there.
    then disconnect and put back the optical drive.

    the old pc problem sounds like either hardware (bad memory) or corrupt
    operating system due to corrupt hard drive.
    you should run hard ware diagnostics, then boot off of something other
    than your current harddrive and see what works.

    Jay B, Mar 28, 2006