HELP: Frozen mouse - how can I get it to move again?

Discussion in 'Apple' started by Sam, Nov 25, 2004.

  1. Sam

    Sam Guest

    My mouse has frozen and won't move at all. The pointer cursor is stuck
    towards the top left hand corner of the screen. I've tried another
    mouse and that won't move either. I've plugged into different USB ports
    - keyboard, back of computer etc. I restarted the computer. No result. I
    tried to boot from OS 10.2.6 from a firewire drive by holding down the
    option key during start up. The mouse moved on that start up screen but
    the computer wouldn't see the 10.2.4 system folder on the firewire drive
    and when I booted in 10.2.6 I was back with the frozen mouse. Weird. It
    seems to have gone wrong after I plugged in a D-Link Bluetooth USB
    dongle. The LED indicated it was powered up but the computer couldn't
    see the dongle. The dongle is now unplugged. Could this dongle somehow
    have damaged the USB software in the operating system? Anybody any
    ideas?

    G4, 1.25GHz, OS 10.2.6, 1 gig RAM.

    Thanks in advance.

    Sam, Nov 25, 2004

  2. Sam

    Gnarlodious Guest

    Did you try a different mouse?

    -- Gnarlie

    Entity Sam spoke thus:

    Gnarlodious, Nov 26, 2004

  3. Sam

    domanova Guest

    It certainly sounds as if the blue tooth device fouled up one of your
    system extensions. I don't know precisely which extension controls the
    mouse, but you could likely regain normal functioning by reinstalling
    the OS from the CDs.

    domanova, Nov 26, 2004
  4. Sam

    domanova Guest

    In typical lazy-ass usenet fashion, you have failed to read the
    fellow's post. He specifically said he tried a different mouse.

    domanova, Nov 26, 2004
  5. Sam

    André Igler Guest

    do you actually _read_ a posting befor you hit the return button?

    André Igler, Nov 26, 2004
  6. Sam

    Gnarlodious Guest

    Entity André Igler spoke thus:
    No, I normally only read the first sentence unless it's a structured post.
    Single paragraph posts are too much work to decode and for your information
    I also don't read posts that are all in lowercase. If people want to make a
    readable post I figure they'll do just that.
    I also don't bother to scroll past the viewing window, I just don't have
    time for it. Top posting is ideal but some seem to have a religious
    affiliation to bottom posting.
    Not that these rejectionist statements justify my horrible manners, it's
    just that I shoot from the hip sometimes.

    -- Gnarlie

    Gnarlodious, Nov 26, 2004
  7. Sam

    brianhuevo Guest

    My mouse has frozen and won't move at all.

    Hi, ive got a similar problem....

    i've recently switched on my G5 for the first time and the mouse only
    works when its connected directly to one of the USB ports in the back
    of the tower.
    It won't work connected to the usb's on either the keyboard or
    monitor.

    Help!

    brianhuevo, Nov 26, 2004
  8. The frozen cursor is a pretty common sign of system corruption.

    You mght try booting from the system CD and running the Disk Utility to
    repair permissions and repair the disk. It's worth a try, as is Disk
    Warrior, if you have it.

    If you do have to reinstall the OS, you might get away with an archive
    and install so at least your other data won't be lost. If you have
    good backups, you may just want to reformat.

    Cathy

    Cathy Stevenson, Nov 26, 2004