Help: G450 DualHead and AC97 problems

Discussion in 'Matrox' started by Fred, Aug 31, 2003.

  1. Fred

    Fred Guest

    Hello everybody,

    a friend of mine asked me to help him with the installation of a new
    G450.

    His system:
    - MSI 6323 board with VIA Apollo Pro 133A chipset
    - AC97 audio
    - Pinnacle video card
    - Firewire card
    - Matrox G450
    - 128 MB RAM
    - Win ME

    We installed the following:
    - Recent Via 4 in 1 drivers
    - Recent Via AC97 audio drivers
    - Recent Matrox drivers
    - Recent Matrox firmware
    - DirectX 9.0a

    Everything worked fine, except there is no AC97 sound anymore. It's
    enabled in BIOS, and System Configuration says it works and there are
    no conflicts in this machine. The Mixer application says AC97 audio is
    used. But it won't work.

    Any idea?

    Bye,
    Frank.

    All I want is a quiet place to live,
    where I can enjoy the fruits of my labor,
    read the paper and not have to cry out loud.
    - Carole King, "Fantasy" -

    Fred, Aug 31, 2003

  2. Fred

    Alan Guest

    1. Check under Control Panel to see if your speaker selection and setup is
    correct. If it is analog or digital out selections available, 'select
    analog'. Ofcourse check your speaker plug at the back of the computer, it
    never hurts as these can disconnect quite easily.

    2. Also check to see if your no inputs are muted, (other than mic etc) or
    turned down/off.

    3. Were your drivers loaded in the order listed?
    Audio drivers like to be at the end, but so do video and they are the most
    important.

    4. Check IRQ to see which cards the Audio is sharing IRQ with. Try to have
    it separtate from the video.

    Let us know how you make out.

    Alan

    Alan, Sep 1, 2003

  3. Fred

    Fred Guest

    Hi Alan,

    On Mon, 01 Sep 2003 17:39:00 GMT, "Alan"

    Hi Alan,
    - Checked, OK.
    - Checked, OK.
    - Checked, OK.
    - Checked, the AC97 IRQ isn't shared with anything else. Btw, CD audio
    plays on this system and can be heard on the speakers (but the volume
    control of the CD Player software is shaded grey).

    Still, nothing works.

    Fred, Sep 1, 2003
  4. Fred

    Alan Guest

    Frank:
    If you can hear sound, but CD (greyed out), then drivers and connections are
    fine. This appears to be software - a CD Player issue only?

    Go to control - install programs - Windows - remove and re-install the
    multimedia.
    Windows comes with Media player, perhaps an upgrade.

    For MPeg playback, certain codecs are required. I am not sure if CD sound
    requires codecs also.
    Perhaps one is overwritten or corrupted, which should be corrected by an
    update.

    Let us know.

    Alan

    Alan, Sep 2, 2003