    any other way. When the drive does come up, in windows it reads 40 gig
    correctly. Any ideas??
    John

    baraka, Jan 27, 2006

  2. baraka

    Leon Rowell Guest

    What brand is the hard drive? If it is a Western Digital and the only
    drive remove the jumper all together and try it. It would be nice to
    know what you are working with as far components and exactly what you
    have done to it, ie: changed MB, new HD, complete rebuild, etc....

    Leon Rowell

    Leon Rowell, Jan 27, 2006

  3. baraka

    baraka Guest

    Hi leon,

    The drive is a Fujitsu 40 gig drive. I tried removing the jumper all
    together on this and the same results. The hard drive is factory
    original in this HP Pavilion. Nothing's been changed at all. Same MB
    too. It' just started loosing settings only in the bios for this hard
    drive. Time,date and all are all fine. Would the drive be suspect?
    John

    baraka, Jan 27, 2006
  4. baraka

    Leon Rowell Guest

    You might try changing the HD ribbon cable if you haven't already.
    Double check to make sure the cables are all the way in the sockets.
    Also check to make sure the CMOS reset/clear jumper is in the right
    position and all the way down on the pins. It's always possible the
    drive is bad. How old is the system?

    Leon

    Leon Rowell, Jan 27, 2006
  5. baraka

    baraka Guest

    Hi Leon,
    I'm suspecting the drive is bad. Not sure how old the system is, but
    it's a pentium 3 and looks to be and older style. I changed the ribbon
    cable so I'm guessing the drive is bad and not reading all the time.
    Jumpers are correct as I verified this with the front of the drive for
    primary master. It's weird that it lets me get into the system and all
    works fine when I go into bios and hit f10 to save. However, on reboot
    it gives me "No operating system found".
    John

    baraka, Jan 27, 2006
  6. baraka

    Dylan C Guest

    I had a similar problem once. My drive would take 15-20 seconds to
    power and spin up. This took too long for the boot process so it would
    report "no HD detected." My solution was to set the "IDE Delay" in the
    BIOS to ~20 seconds. That gave the drive time to power up and made sure
    that it was ready to go when the BIOS was ready to detect it.

    The bad news is the drive failed shortly after that. I would seriously
    look into a replacent drive or at least backing up all critical data.

    -Dylan

    Dylan C, Jan 27, 2006
  7. baraka

    - HAL9000 Guest

    I would try to eliminate the power supply before buying a new hard
    drive. If the power supply is "not coming up right" then things that
    shouldn't happen - can.

    Also, the motherboard reads the hard drive's settings on boot up (aka
    boot record). If the motherboard can't read the hard drive then it
    just looks like you've lost the hard drives settings. In actuality,
    the motherboard can't read the drive.

    Forrest

    Motherboard Help By HAL web site:
    http://home.comcast.net/~mobo.help/

    < snip >

    - HAL9000, Jan 27, 2006
  8. baraka

    Simon Yee Guest

    Drive and also the PSU is effecting system.

    Psu is Oscillating that can cause system wide problem

    Simon Yee, Jan 28, 2006
  9. baraka

    baraka Guest

    Hard drive was toast! Replaced it with a maxtor 40 gig and all is well
    now.
    John

    baraka, Feb 4, 2006