Help! How to fix broken audio/USB ports?

Discussion in 'Laptops' started by Craig, Jan 29, 2004.

  1. Craig

    Craig Guest

    Hi,

    I have a Dell Latitude C840, on which unfortunately the audio
    (headphone) and one of the USB ports are damaged. I have pictures of
    each at the following url's:

    http://www.prism.gatech.edu/~gtg717q/dell1.jpg
    http://www.prism.gatech.edu/~gtg717q/dell2.jpg

    I contacted Dell about this matter, but their only solution was to
    replace the motherboard, which unfortunately would not have been covered
    under my warranty and would have cost me $250 - no thanks.

    Is there any simple way to fix either of these problems? I would
    appreciate any suggestions.

    ~ Craig

    Craig, Jan 29, 2004

  2. you may want to try:
    a USB 2.0 buscard or a hub to the good USB port.
    an external audio proscesor like the one from creative labs, dont remember
    the name.

    Dennis Savatski, Jan 30, 2004

  3. Craig

    Craig Guest

    Thanks for your response.

    I do a 4-plug hub that I can use on the good port and when I want to
    listen to audio at home I have a port replicator I use, in which I leave
    my stereo plugged into the audio port (and I plug my headphones into the
    stereo if I feel like it). My problem is that when I take my laptop out
    someplace I can't be lugging around my port replicator too and even a
    USB hub is kind of in the way, so I was hoping to find some way to
    repair the actual ports themselves. The USB port isn't as much of a
    problem as the audio port, as I can only use it by jamming a plug in
    there and positioning it just right -- one slight move and BUZZZZZZZZ,
    or the audio starts coming out of my laptop speakers. This is kind of a
    pain when you're trying to watch a movie on a plane, for example. Any
    solution to my audio problem would have to involve something that
    wouldn't get in the way if I were moving my laptop around.

    ~Craig

    Craig, Jan 30, 2004