Help identify this laptop ...

Discussion in 'Laptops' started by Rachael the Wiccan Rat, Sep 9, 2003.

  1. A friend has one for sale. As yet he hasn't been able to give me a model
    number (omission rather than suspicion should be the watchword there - he
    has owned this thing for a couple of years at least and I've seen it in the
    flesh a couple of times myself.)

    It's an IBM Thinkpad Series i.
    Celeron 550 processor.
    32mb ram.
    5GB hard drive.
    Runnings Windows ME.
    I seem to recall it doesn't have a built it floppy.

    Is this possibly a 1200 ? I would like to identify it further before buying
    (though he's a very good friend so I imagine, as he's getting a brand
    spanking new one on sunday, that I will get it for almost nothing). I could
    wait for him to come back to me with the model number (I have asked !) but
    impatience is my middle name.

    Any pointers would be appreciated. I'd like to research the upgrade options,
    possible trouble spots - that sort of thing. I do my homework before buying
    such things, innit.
    I think he bought it from one of the big companies - Pissy World or Dick
    Turpins, sorry PC World or Dixons ;-), can't have been more than three years
    ago.

    Rachael

    Rachael the Wiccan Rat, Sep 9, 2003

  2. That would probably be a 1200-11U (type 1161-11U). Almost nothing is the
    right price, considering that it has a 12" 800x600 HPA display and you can
    get nice machines with 1024x768 TFT displays for a few hundred. I don't know
    much else about the machine, but you can get the datasheet here:

    ftp://ftp.software.ibm.com/pc/pcinstitute/psref/tiwbook.pdf

    All of the other ThinkPad datasheets are in that same FTP folder:

    ftp://ftp.software.ibm.com/pc/pcinstitute/psref/

    Look for files named t*book.pdf. Or look at index.pdf and indexw.pdf to see
    which machines are listed in which t*book.pdf file.

    For a little comparison shopping, you might check with someone like
    newsgroup regular Bruce Markowitz () to see what
    other kinds of inexpensive used ThinkPads are available.

    -Mike

    Michael Geary, Sep 9, 2003

  3. Ah, but when I say "almost nothing" I really do mean almost nothing. I
    suspect it'll be a case of cooking him dinner and that's about it. ;-)

    I don't know
    Should I be buying one for real (if you get my meaning) I would be looking
    for something better, but as I say, I expect this will be almost a freebie -
    or at least, extremely easy financial terms. ;-) I've known him since I was
    thirteen and he's the generous sort who tends to pretty much give his old
    computer stuff away. Usually to me !

    Thanks veyr much for the pointers - I had been trawling through the IBM site
    and found that the info is there - I just couldn't narrow it down enough to
    get anything useful. It was beginning to fry my brain.

    Rachael

    Rachael the Wiccan Rat, Sep 9, 2003
  4. That would probably be a 1200-11U (type 1161-11U). Almost nothing is the
    In that case, I'd say it's a very nice machine for the price! :)

    -Mike

    Michael Geary, Sep 9, 2003
  5. Indeed. ;-)

    I think I'll be chucking some ram at it though - I mean, 32mb - how does it
    run *anything* on that ? Blimey...

    Rachael

    Rachael the Wiccan Rat, Sep 11, 2003