Help Identifying Processor

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Mute Fan, Feb 24, 2004.

  1. Mute Fan

    Mute Fan Guest

    I'm trying to refurbish an old computer for a needy family member and
    am wondering if it's worth it. I just installed new RAM (128) and
    defragged the hard drive (all I know is the system is a Compaq 5414).
    The boot speed is now incomparable to what it was before (in old
    computer terms, that is). I have no problem launching Microsoft Word
    or other applications the family member might be in need of for
    training purposes.

    However, the pointer and hourglass and every other "moveable" mouse
    icon flickers a lot, and the Internet connection is still lousy.
    There is a tendency for this machine to acquire viruses (?) that
    constantly--and I mean constantly--replace the URL in IE with some
    extraneous adware. (If anyone knows about any truly free spyware
    program, I'd also appreciate the link, too.)

    I can find a cheap modem, no doubt, in case the modem's responsible
    for the lousy download speeds, but I'm wondering if the problem isn't
    a cheap processor.

    It isn't Intel; it's a "AMD-K(6) (tm) 3D." Is that an Athalon? If it
    is, what speed is it supposed to be comparable to with an Intel?

    Is it very hard to replace a processor (if you replace it with
    something from the same generation as the other hardware)?

    Thanks.

    Mute Fan, Feb 24, 2004

  2. Mute Fan

    Tom Guest

    Firstly with regard to the mouse pointer flickering, this problem can
    sometimes be caused by bad or old graphics card drivers, so try
    updating the drivers for the graphics card from the manufacturers
    website. If this doesn't fix it them the problem may be that the
    memory chips on the graphics card have gone bad, in which case there
    isn't really a lot you can do about it, other than replace the card.

    With regard to the adware and spyware the best (and free) tool to
    remove them in my opinion would be LavaSoft AdAware 6, which you can
    get from http://www.lavasoftusa.com/support/download/
    However if there is lots of software on the machine that isn't needed,
    the best way to remove all unnecessary software, virus's, worms,
    adware and spyware is to reformat the hard disk and do a fresh install
    of Windows. As well as providing a fresh install, it will also make
    the machine perform at its best, with no clutter.

    Lastly about the CPU, the AMD K6 is about equivalent to a Pentium,
    without MMX technology, and as far as I can remember the clock speeds
    ranged from about 166Mhz to 300Mhz, using a Socket7 motherboard
    connector. The Pentium was the better chip as far as power goes, so if
    you can find an older Intel Pentium chip, then the motherboard will
    probably take it, however you will probably have to change some jumper
    settings on the motherboard to set bus speed etc, so you'll need the
    motherboard manual for that. Having said all that, if the machine is
    only going to be used for basic word-processing etc then you'd be
    better off sticking with the K6, which was not bad for a budget CPU.

    Anyway hope at least some of that helped, good luck.
    Tom

    Tom, Feb 24, 2004

  3. Mute Fan

    Ali Guest

    goto www.comptechnics.net and then the download section. There is a
    utility there called cpuinfo or something like that down load it. It
    will tell you your CPU specs. About removing spy ware follow the
    other fellow members advice and use adaware.

    Ali, Feb 25, 2004
  4. Mute Fan

    mute fan Guest

    (Tom) wrote in message
    *Some* of it? Holy Moly, you gave me a crash course in fixing it!
    Thanks and THANKS.

    mute fan, Feb 25, 2004
  5. AdAware is one of the top-rated programs for this niche.
    Absolutely agree. Format and reinstall Windows.
    http://www.processor-emporium.co.uk/ is a site that describes the
    various processors that have been used in PCs. It may help you
    identify the processor in the PC. Depending on how much money you
    want to spend, it may be worthwhile just to buy a more recent model
    used PC.

    Anonymous Jack, Feb 25, 2004
  6. Mute Fan

    Mute Fan Guest

    Thanks, Ali and Tom. Great help.

    Mute Fan, Feb 25, 2004
  7. Mute Fan

    Mute Fan Guest

    (Anonymous Jack) wrote in message
    Anonymous Jack, Tom, Ali, or whoever might help: I want to do this
    because the PC is, in the end, expendable. Last night I went to some
    site (DriverWorld?) for help with the SiS 530 Graphics Controller
    installed on this Compaq. I'm going to stick in a new modem (for
    $30USD), and I only spent $50 on the RAM.

    I'm a computer school drop-out whose instructor (no word of lie) did
    not know how to format a hard disk. My question: All I would do is go
    to C:\ (this Compaq only has one drive), "Format," and then everything
    would be wiped out? I then would reinstall Windows 98SE? If there's
    anything else to it, could you let me know? I realize I've read
    instructions over and over and over, but I guess I just want someone
    to (WAH, WAH!) hold my hand. THanks.

    Mute Fan, Feb 26, 2004
  8. Also, check out Belarc.com

    Their free utility will tell you the processor specs, number of RAM
    slots and what is currently installed, Windows version with any
    service paks and hot fixes, all registered software, etc - basically
    anything you would ever need to know. It displays everything in a
    browser window.

    Anonymous Jack, Feb 26, 2004
  9. Mute Fan

    Tom Guest

    Anonymous Jack, Tom, Ali, or whoever might help: I want to do this
    Hi
    About wiping this hard disk. You'll need a Win98 startup floppy disk,
    which you can make by putting a disk in drive a: and going to Control
    Panel > Add/remove programs > startup disk > create disk. Reboot the
    PC with this disk in the a: drive and Win98 CD in the CD drive. When
    you get the startup menu, select the 1st option to get to a DOS prompt
    with CD-ROM support. Type 'fdisk/mbr'. This will re-create the master
    boot record on the hard disk and remove any boot sector virus's. Now
    type 'format c:' and 'y' when it asks are you sure. This will
    re-format the disk (can take a while) so you will have a clean file
    system on it. Now just start the setup program from the CD to setup
    Win98 :eek:)

    TIP: It can be more reliable (and a little faster) to copy the Win98
    setup files from the CD (located in the \Win98\ folder) onto a
    directory with the same name on the newley formatted hard disk, then
    run the setup program from there. Use the 'md' and 'copy' commands to
    make the new directory and copy the files.

    Tom

    Tom, Feb 28, 2004
  10. Mute Fan

    Mute Fan Guest

    (Tom) wrote in message
    I cannot thank you enough for this particular post. Even though it
    may sound pathetic, even mentally-challenged, the distinction between
    start-up, boot, recovery disks has eluded me until I read this. I'm
    someone who can do stuff like changing jumper cables on old modems and
    install new Ram, but until now I couldn't grasp the segue from
    creating a start-up disk to reformatting. Dude, thank You.

    A question about your second paragraph. If you have the time and
    willingness to explain this, I'd appreciate just a "scoche" more of
    understanding exactly what I'd be better off doing things this way.
    In other words, once I hae the start-up CD running, I'd create a new
    directory on the newly formatted hard disk, then-- That's where you
    lose me.

    Whether you answer or not, I hope you have a really great day/week.
    You taught me more in two posts than my (ex) computer genius
    instructor did in ten and a half wasted weeks.

    Mute Fan, Mar 2, 2004
  11. You would do this after reformatting the HD, and before installing
    Windows from the CD. Actually, you might want to partition your
    drive, first (see bottom)

    When you boot from your Win98 boot disk, the boot disk create a 2mb
    virtual drive in RAM (RAM drive) to hold some of the DOS commands.
    DOS automatically assigns drive letters A and B to floppy drives
    (regardless of whether any floppy drives are installed) and usually
    assigns C to the hard drive (HD). So DOS will probably assign D or
    the next available letter to this RAM drive.

    It will also load generic DOS drivers for your CD rom drive, then
    assign the next available letter - probably E. So, assuming this
    setup:

    Let's assume you've already made a directory on your HD (e.g., md
    c:\Win9x).

    Put the Windows CD in the CD drive and copy the files to your HD
    folder:

    At the C: prompt, type in: copy E:\Win98\*.* C:\Win9x\*.* <press
    Enter key>(where E is the CD drive and as Tom noted, the essential
    Windows files are stored in the Win98 folder; and Win9x is the name of
    the directory you just created) Asterisks are wildcards, so this copy
    command is copying all files from E:\Win98 to C:\Win9x

    Once all the files are copied, remove the boot disk and Cd from the
    computer. Next, run the Windows setup program in DOS:
    At the C: prompt, type in: run c:\win9x\setup.exe <press Enter key>

    Generally, computers get data faster from a HD than from a CD drive.
    You will also minimalize the garbage that Windows or the PC
    manufacturer may try and add onto the Windows install. Also, you
    won't have to worry about the rare occurrence of your CD drive failing
    or losing communication during your install.

    I would recommend one more step from what Tom suggested, and that is
    to partition your hard drive and put your Windows set up files in the
    second partition. You will need about 180mb to store the Windows set
    up files; so I would recommend if your hard drive is less than 4 Gb
    setting your second partition from 200~500mb; if you have 4 or more
    Gb, set up 1 GB. If you have 10GB or more, you may want to set up
    2~5GB (I have a 120GB drive in one of my PCs set up as 60/60GB).

    Creating a partition splits up your HD into two or more drives (as far
    as DOS and Windows is concerned).

    The benefit of storing the Windows setup files on the secondary
    partition is that if your CD drive fails, or your Windows CD is lost
    or destroyed, and you have a problem with Windows, you can still set
    up Windows from the files stored safely in the second partition. If
    you have the space, you can also back up data to the secondary
    partition, too. That way, you don't lose it when you reformat the
    primary partition.

    Some people run 3 partitions: one just for Windows, one for
    installing programs and backing up the Windows registry, and a 3rd for
    data, archiving, and backup.

    Anonymous Jack, Mar 3, 2004
  12. Mute Fan

    Tom Guest

    I cannot thank you enough for this particular post. Even though it
    Glad you found the post helpful - its no problem really, and yes, I'm
    having a reasonable week cheers :eek:)

    What I mean with the second paragraph is that there can occasionally
    be problems when installing Win98 from a CD, that when you re-boot
    after setup, it doesn't load the drivers for the CD-ROM properly, so
    preventing you from installing other drivers until later. Whilst not
    exactly devastating, this annoyance can be avoided by copying the
    files to the hard disk, then installing from there. The other
    advantage is that if you need to add more accessories or Windows
    components after installation, you won't need to put the CD in - it
    will automatically take the files from the setup files on the hard
    disk.

    So the instructions I'm about to give you assume you've got as far as
    re-formatting the hard disk. Ensure the current drive is the c: drive.
    If so, the DOS prompt will look roughly like this: 'c:\>' but without
    quotes. Now type 'md win98'. This command will create a new directory
    on the hard disk called 'win98'. Now type 'copy x:\win98 c:\win98',
    where 'x' is the letter of you're CD-ROM drive (normally d: or e:).
    The setup files will now be copied from the CD to the hard disk. Once
    complete, change to the new directory on the hard disk by entering 'cd
    win98'. Now start setup by just typing 'setup' and hitting Enter.
    Follow the instructions on the screen to complete setup.

    As for computer science lecturers, yeah, I've had my fair share of
    those too. I'm currently on a computing degree and they aren't too bad
    here thank God. Had a few lecturers like that at college though!!
    Good luck with it anyway, Tom

    Tom, Mar 3, 2004