Help in building a new system

Discussion in 'AMD Thunderbird' started by Gordon Abbot, Dec 23, 2003.

  1. Gordon Abbot

    Gordon Abbot Guest

    I ask for you help in selecting the components for a new system.

    I will be transferring 40 hours of 8mm film to dvd so want to do so as
    quickly as possible. Most of my time will be in real time with the
    computer capturing the film and converting it to digital (mpeg) format.
    Then editing, rendering and burning. (Any other thoughts on the best way
    to do this would be an added help. Right now I intend to record the
    projected image with a digital video camera and transfer that by
    firewire to the computer.)

    I would like a fast system that has the capacity for upgrading based on
    current technology. I keep my computers going for about 5 years before
    any radical change so am looking for a bit of stability over the first
    few years.

    I will be starting almost completely new, so need

    a case,

    powersupply,

    motherboard,

    cpu,

    video card (looking at the ATI all in wonder for video capture),

    capture card (if not incorporated in the video card)

    sound card

    the works. I have a 120 gig WD HD, sony dvd burner (but will upgrade
    that in about 6 months).

    Want firewire and usb2 and capacity to upgrade, so do not want anything
    "built in" unless it is upgradeable.

    GA

    Gordon Abbot, Dec 23, 2003

  2. Gordon Abbot

    Ben Pope Guest

    If you do it that way, you will be hard pushed to get a decent quality.

    What devices do you have to playback these 8mm tapes? If you have something
    like a camcorder with an S-Video out, I suggest plugging that into an
    S-Video in, on the graphics card and transferring it that way.
    If you want upgradable, you'll probably want to go with an AMD64, but there
    are 2 differing sockets for it (one with 700and something pins, one with
    929?), I think the 929 sockets are going to be around longer.

    Most moderm hard drives will be able to write the raw data rates you need,
    so no major worries there. If you think you'll be compressing in MPEG4 /
    DivX in real time, you're probably pushing your luck. MPEG2 shouldn't be a
    problem.

    You really should give us some idea of budget as well...

    At the moment I'll say an AMD64 with something like an ATI AIW to do the
    video capture.

    Cheers,

    Ben

    Ben Pope, Dec 23, 2003

  3. Gordon Abbot

    BF Guest

    Note the question that says 8mm Film and your reply that says 8mm
    tapes. I don't think you read the question.

    so as.............

    BF, Dec 23, 2003
  4. Gordon Abbot

    Ben Pope Guest

    OK, so I'll exchange 'tape' for 'film', my question becomes:

    "What devices do you have to playback these 8mm FILM".

    Do you feel happier now?

    Ben

    Ben Pope, Dec 23, 2003
  5. Gordon Abbot

    Wes Newell Guest

    Forget a computer fro this. Get a Panasonic DMR-E80H. Do your thing and
    then you can use it on a daily basic as a DVR. Under $500.

    Wes Newell, Dec 23, 2003
  6. Gordon Abbot

    Gordon Abbot Guest

    The playback will be a projector and a digital camara recording the
    image. Then transfer the digital camera to the computer.

    Budget around 1k.

    GA

    Gordon Abbot, Dec 23, 2003
  7. Gordon Abbot

    Gordon Abbot Guest

    I also need to edit the captured film. Can ou edit on the recorder?

    GA

    Gordon Abbot, Dec 23, 2003
  8. Gordon Abbot

    Wes Newell Guest

    Yes. Download the manual. It's on Panasonics website.

    Features

    This unit allows recording of high quality video on HDD and DVD-RAM, the
    compact and durable digital media with fast random access. This media also
    out performs past tape formats in ease of operation.

    + Maximum 106 hours on HDD (Hard Disk Drive) (9page 15) This model is
    installed with a high capacity 80 GB hard disk capable of recording a
    maximum of 106 hours (6 hours continuously). The same functions are
    available with HDD as with DVD-RAM and editing/recording of visual data
    from hard disk to DVD-RAM/R is easy-to-perform.

    + Maximum 12 hours on DVD-RAM eUsing a double sided, 9.4 GB DVD RAM allows
    you to record a maximum of 12 hours (6 hours continuously). eYou can also
    use the FR (Flexible Recording) mode to fit recordings efficiently onto
    the available space on the disc.

    + Auto Renewal Recording ( page 26) If you record a program onto HDD
    repeatedly everyday or every week using timer recording, the unit will
    record the new program over the old one.

    + Relief Recording ( page 25) When timer recording to DVD-RAM or DVD-R,
    the unit will compare the remaining space on the disc and the time
    necessary for recording. If space is insufficient the unit will record the
    program to HDD instead (there is no relief recording function the other
    way, i.e. from HDD to DVD-RAM or DVD-R).

    + Editing your recording [HDD] [RAM] eYou can divide programs ( page 34).
    eUse play lists ( page 31) to select your favorite scenes and rearrange
    them to play in any order you like.

    + Exceptional sound and picture quality when recording eAudio is recorded
    using Dolby Digital stereo, enabling high quality sound recordings. When
    recording in XP mode it is possible to use LPCM (2 channel) to achieve
    sound recordings of even higher quality. eThe encoder system used for
    recording is called Hybrid VBR and allows high quality recordings.

    + Fast access to the program you want to watch ( page 19) [HDD] [RAM]
    [DVD-R] Use the Direct Navigator to find a program you have recorded and
    start play. Features Examples

    etc.....

    Wes Newell, Dec 24, 2003
  9. Gordon Abbot

    Gordon Abbot Guest

    I still would appreciate your suggestions on a good mb, cpu, case,
    powersupply for a system that would have room for growth to take
    advantage of new technologies coming down the road.

    I am going to build a new computer and give my wife my 1.2 gig since she
    uses it mostly for the web and word processing. Her old 75 mhz (upgraded
    to 200mhz) is way too slow, even though she seems to not mind it (I do
    since I do most of the upkeep on it).

    GA

    Gordon Abbot, Dec 24, 2003
  10. Gordon Abbot

    KevH Guest

    I wouldnt have thought that WP or www would be crippling a PP200.
    These are not CPU intensive but of course if MS Office is involved
    then it probably is making the PP200 puff a bit.

    Yeah, a newer system will help somewhat as the video would update
    quicker via AGP/PCI against, perhaps, ISA. RAM though is probably
    more important (and again you will have access to quicker types
    today on the present m\bs).

    Intel, though, is acknowledged to have the edge in video editing!

    For AMD systems the advice is to hang fire for another six months
    but none of the PC technology seems to upgrade seamlessly without
    a complete motherboard/cpu/memory purchase as these three items
    tend not to be backwards compatible and become, in a sense,
    obsolete when the next generation comes to market.

    At the moment with AMD you can follow about three/four paths with
    regard to socket technology and thus I do not see them all being
    here in more than a couple of years. So whatever you decide on
    now might not be very upgradable after those couple of years.
    This applies to Intel also.

    Personally, I would go XP (as high as the wallet permits) with
    an Nforce2 Ultra board with 3500/3700 memory and be prepared to
    write it off over two years.

    Regards,

    Kevin

    Get the 'eLL outta' here for e-Mail

    KevH, Dec 24, 2003
  11. Gordon Abbot

    Peter Piper Guest

    This is a terrible suggestion. Once he burns his DVD's he will only be
    able to play back on the Panasonic unit since it records in DVD-RAM mode
    and is INCOMPATABLE with nealy all DVD players in existence.

    Am I wrong?

    The reviews I have read say this usit is nearly crippled with copy
    protection schemes.

    Peter Piper, Dec 25, 2003
  12. Gordon Abbot

    Peter Piper Guest

    Enlight mid tower case 360 Watt
    P4 2.4 GHz 800 MHz FSB
    Intel Mobo with the 865 or 875 chipset for Dual Channel DDR
    At least 512 of RAM preferably a Gig of 800 MHz rated DDR - I bought
    Kingston
    ATI All in Wonder is fine if you need the tuner. You could get a ATI
    card with VIVO and no tuner based on the 9200 chip. I bought the
    Gigabyte model
    High quality recording sound card like the Hoontech DSP 24 Value Sound
    Card $129 www.tracertek.com

    Peter Piper, Dec 25, 2003
  13. Gordon Abbot

    Wes Newell Guest

    Yes. It also records to plain dvd-r. Wouldn't be much good otherwise.
    What I've read from users in the Tivo group that have it, say it's the
    best out there without spending megabucks for a commercial unit. Much
    better than the Tivo dvd recorder. The tivo unit won't let you edit before
    transferring to dvd.
    Per the manual, you can record to HDD, DVD-RAM, and DVD-R. You can edit
    files on HDD or DVD-RAM. You can transfer non protected files from HDD to
    DVD-RAM or DVD-R. Protected files can only be dubbed to DVD-RAM. I assume
    protected files would be certain commercial products like movies on DVD.
    So I guess if you want to make bootleg copies of movies this is not the
    unit for you. Can't however back them up to HDD or DVD-RAM.
    Check page 15 of the manual for details.

    Wes Newell, Dec 25, 2003
  14. Gordon Abbot

    J.Clarke Guest

    How are the editing capabilities of the Panasonic when compared to a PC?

    J.Clarke, Dec 25, 2003
  15. Gordon Abbot

    Wes Newell Guest

    I don't know. Don't have a DVD burner of any sorts yet. Just been doing
    some research on the Panasonic because I'm thinking of getting one. I
    would suspect you could do a lot more with a PC though. But for basic
    editing this looks like it will do a good job. I really don't need a DVD
    recorder. I've got a tivo, but not very happy with some aspects of it and
    this looked like a good alternative. Might want to nake some home movies
    on fo these days.

    Wes Newell, Dec 25, 2003
  16. Gordon Abbot

    J.Clarke Guest

    If you've got a Tivo read up on it at <http://www.avsforum.com> and

    J.Clarke, Dec 26, 2003
  17. Gordon Abbot

    stacey Guest

    For this use a P-4 is the way to go.

    And I'd add use a dual monitor setup. Once you have edited some video,
    you'll understand why it's a good idea. I'm a big fan of -Vegas video- for
    editing software.

    stacey, Dec 27, 2003
  18. Gordon Abbot

    Mr. Green Guest