    drives connected so I can not install windows. I have checked cable
    connections.

    Thanks for any help

    jett1331, Jul 20, 2006

  2. jett1331

    Paul Guest

    With RAID disabled in the BIOS (which is the default), I think
    the Microsoft IDE driver should work. I don't think it needs
    F6, to pick up the SATA drive in a non-RAID mode. WinXP SP1
    or Win2K SP3 would help.

    What OS are you trying to install ?

    THe chipset drivers have nvata.inf in a folder, which is
    an Nvidia IDE file, but I believe the Microsoft driver works
    just as well.

    You could try downloading the disk manufacturer drive testing
    software, and see if it can see the drive. You can also try
    moving the drive cable to some of the other SATA connectors,
    and see if that makes a difference.

    Does the drive spin up ? Can you hear it running ?

    My best guess,
    Paul

    Paul, Jul 20, 2006

  3. jett1331

    Ben Dover Guest

    blabbered in 4ax.com:
    If you are using XP/SP2 as your OS, you do NOT need to load drivers from
    the CD = XP will recognize the SATA drives natively. The drivers are for
    RAID. As a boot or data drive ... not needed. Note again that you must have
    SP2 installed. The drives should appear in BIOS just fine - I have never
    loaded extra drivers for SATA drives.

    Ben Dover, Jul 20, 2006
  4. jett1331

    John Lewis Guest

    You have not set up BIOS to physically recognize the SATA drives. Try
    reading the motherboard manual BIOS section again very carefully. You
    never need to load any harddisk-drivers on F6 unless you intend to
    <<boot the OS>> from a <<RAID>> configuration. Not a recommended
    boot-configuration, unless you are a masochist, in my not-so-humble
    opinion.

    John Lewis

    John Lewis, Jul 20, 2006
  5. jett1331

    Mark Guest

    You wrote in thusly:
    Are you saying that you need XP sp2 in order to use SATA drives? Is this
    motherboard specific?

    Mark, Jul 20, 2006
  6. jett1331

    DRS Guest

    It's certainly not true for my A8N-SLI Premium. XP pre-SP2 won't recognise
    any partition larger than 131GB but has zero trouble accessing my SATA boot
    drive.

    DRS, Jul 20, 2006
  7. jett1331

    Mark Guest

    You wrote in
    thusly:
    My P4C800-E with WinXP sp1 has two 320GB SATA and one 320GB PATA drives
    attached which all work fine. I think you mean XP with no service pack
    installed and only if not enabled (sp1 has 48-bit LBA enabled by
    default).

    Mark, Jul 20, 2006
  8. jett1331

    Ben Dover Guest

    Noooo... what I said is .... IF you are using SP2, you do not need extra
    drivers ... unless you are using them in a RAID array. For individual
    SATA drives - no driver are needed. SP2 will handle them natively.

    Ben Dover, Jul 20, 2006
  9. jett1331

    Rob Guest

    F6 isn't typically required for nForce 4/5 chipsets unless your setting
    up RAID, which is where the Makedisk file comes into play as well. It
    sound like the SATA port your using isn't enabled in the BIOS, since you
    can't see it on the BIOS's drive list I just installed WinXP with SP2,
    to a single 320Gb SATA drive, on a M2N board without a hitch. Just
    insure RAID is disabled and the SATA ports are enabled under the IDE
    setups. If your install CD is an older version, it would be best to
    make a copy with the newest SP slipstreamed into it to insure
    compatibility. That should get it done for ya
    Rob

    Rob, Jul 20, 2006
  10. Which connector have you used?.
    The key is that there are multiple different ways to configure the SATA
    connectors, depending on which chipset they are fed off, and different
    initialisation stages involved.
    For the simplest 'non RAID' mode, the cable needs to go to one of the
    connectors fed by the NVidia chipset, not one connected to the JMicron
    controller. Then in the CMOS setup, the connector for this drive, needs to
    be selected as operating in ATA emulation mode, not RAID mode. Ideally if
    not using RAID, disable the second controller. Then the drive should be
    seen in the CMOS screen, and should be directly installable without
    made any changes in the CMOS settings, the drive could then not be seen by
    the XP drivers.
    The latter RAID controllers also support this type o configuration, but
    here an 'add on' driver is needed to see the drive.
    The other modes are to attach it in a RAID configuration. With this, you
    _must_ configure the drives to say how they are grouped together (even if
    only one drive is fitted), from the BIOS, _before_ trying to setup XP. The
    drivers for the RAID system, do not see 'drives', but 'arrays', and if no
    array is configured, loading these, will not find any drives. A single
    drive can itself be an array (called Just a Bunch of Disks, or 'JBOD').
    I do suspect that if you 'step back', perform a CMOS reset, ensure the
    drive is plugged into the SATA1 controller, and double check your power
    connection, that you will then 'find' the drive.

    Best Wishes

    Roger Hamlett, Jul 20, 2006
  11. jett1331

    Ben Dover Guest

    all of which is exactly what I posted here in answer to his questions,
    and exactly what I posted a week ago to another guy - for which I tool a
    whole lot of crap from people here intimating I didn't know what I was
    talking about.

    i guess I was right, huh? Gee ....

    Ben Dover, Jul 20, 2006
  12. jett1331

    Godwin Ho Guest

    When the hard disks are not detected in the BIOS, you may try to warm boot
    the machine again and see if the disks are there, i.e. ctrl-alt-del. This
    is the case for me when I install the new SATAII IBM/ Seagate hard disks on
    my P4C800 Deluxe. Though the disks are set by jumpers to run as SATAI,
    there indeed are timing issues that the BIOS cannot recognise them. As a
    workaround, you may need to adjust the HD detect mode in the BIOS from
    "Fast" to "Normal" and everything should be running fine. The bootup time
    is longer though. I hope Asus might issue a new version of BIOS to get
    these issues resolved. Well, I believe the chance is remote as the board is
    "too old" for them to put any more effort for further improvement.

    Godwin Ho, Jul 23, 2006
  13. jett1331

    Mark Guest

    You wrote in thusly:
    I doubt it's a BIOS problem. I have the same board as you with BIOS 1015
    and all the SATA drives I have are always recognized from cold boot.

    Mark, Jul 23, 2006
  14. jett1331

    Godwin Ho Guest

    Are all your HD SATAII or SATAI? Anyway, I agree that this is a BIOS issue.
    For the earlier versions, say 1006, they took very long time to recognize
    the hardware config so there would not be any problem. Besides, there were
    annoying "beeps" at the startup. That is also one of the reasons why I
    flash with the new one. Everything seems perfect when I was using SATAI
    HDs, but not anymore for SATAII.

    Godwin Ho, Jul 24, 2006
  15. jett1331

    takura

    Joined:
    Jul 11, 2007
    Messages:
    2
    Likes Received:
    0
    hi, I built my pc from scratch and when i started up i got a long beep and two short beeps continuously and no video display

    the specs are P4 3.0 ghz hyper threading
    ASUS P5VD2-MX motherboard
    1 gig of ram, A DATA
    160 gb seagate sata hardrive

    i read somewhere that i should try to clear the cmos, and i did so and it posted but did not read my sata hard drive, and it says CMOS CHECKSUM ERROR then when i restart the beeping starts again.

    please help, i need this computer and don't know what to do

    takura, Jul 11, 2007