Help! It's sleeping and it won't wake up!

Discussion in 'Apple' started by isw, May 6, 2014.

  1. isw

    isw Guest

    A MacBook 2,1 that was my daughter's. It had been in "heavy duty" use
    through grad school and finally became totally unusable (wouldn't boot)
    when the power was dumped during an update.

    I got it, pulled the disk (which fortunately I was able to get the data
    off of) and stuck in the disk that had been pulled, working, from my
    MacBook 1,1 a while back.

    Her 2,1 booted and ran with the 1,1 disk, but would not wake after sleep
    -- the white light on the front was on constantly, and nothing I could
    think of would wake it. Power cycling would get it going, along with a
    message to the effect that it had been shut down improperly (implying, I
    think, that it was running fine "inside" even if it wasn't giving any
    outward signs).

    Reset PRAM and SMC; no change.

    Made sure display sleep happened before computer sleep; no change.

    Reinstalled 10.6.3 from DVD, fetched and ran Universal Updater to
    10.6.8; no change.

    Poking around, it seems that this problem has been around for a while
    (although I've not seen it despite having three white MacBooks in the
    family). I saw a number of long threads, but no definitive fixes.

    So now what?

    Isaac

    isw, May 6, 2014

  2. In article <isw-58F5AC.22042705052014@[216.168.3.50]>,
    isw <> wrote:

    > A MacBook 2,1 that was my daughter's. It had been in "heavy duty" use
    > through grad school and finally became totally unusable (wouldn't boot)
    > when the power was dumped during an update.
    >
    > I got it, pulled the disk (which fortunately I was able to get the data
    > off of) and stuck in the disk that had been pulled, working, from my
    > MacBook 1,1 a while back.
    >
    > Her 2,1 booted and ran with the 1,1 disk, but would not wake after sleep
    > -- the white light on the front was on constantly, and nothing I could
    > think of would wake it. Power cycling would get it going, along with a
    > message to the effect that it had been shut down improperly (implying, I
    > think, that it was running fine "inside" even if it wasn't giving any
    > outward signs).
    >
    > Reset PRAM and SMC; no change.
    >
    > Made sure display sleep happened before computer sleep; no change.
    >
    > Reinstalled 10.6.3 from DVD, fetched and ran Universal Updater to
    > 10.6.8; no change.
    >
    > Poking around, it seems that this problem has been around for a while
    > (although I've not seen it despite having three white MacBooks in the
    > family). I saw a number of long threads, but no definitive fixes.
    >
    > So now what?
    >
    > Isaac

    Boot off a TechTool Pro 6 recovery DVD or some other 3rd party hardware
    and disk analysis utility. If it passes, decide if it's worth taking to
    a Genius Bar to have them look it over and maybe run some standalone
    diagnostics. If you can find said diagnostics "from pirated sources",
    download those, run them, and see what they tell you.

    This may be a 'gut for parts' situation. Sounds like a logic board
    dying.

    Michael Vilain, May 6, 2014

  3. isw

    Your Name Guest

    In article <>, Michael
    Vilain <> wrote:

    > In article <isw-58F5AC.22042705052014@[216.168.3.50]>,
    > isw <> wrote:
    >
    > > A MacBook 2,1 that was my daughter's. It had been in "heavy duty" use
    > > through grad school and finally became totally unusable (wouldn't boot)
    > > when the power was dumped during an update.
    > >
    > > I got it, pulled the disk (which fortunately I was able to get the data
    > > off of) and stuck in the disk that had been pulled, working, from my
    > > MacBook 1,1 a while back.
    > >
    > > Her 2,1 booted and ran with the 1,1 disk, but would not wake after sleep
    > > -- the white light on the front was on constantly, and nothing I could
    > > think of would wake it. Power cycling would get it going, along with a
    > > message to the effect that it had been shut down improperly (implying, I
    > > think, that it was running fine "inside" even if it wasn't giving any
    > > outward signs).
    > >
    > > Reset PRAM and SMC; no change.
    > >
    > > Made sure display sleep happened before computer sleep; no change.
    > >
    > > Reinstalled 10.6.3 from DVD, fetched and ran Universal Updater to
    > > 10.6.8; no change.
    > >
    > > Poking around, it seems that this problem has been around for a while
    > > (although I've not seen it despite having three white MacBooks in the
    > > family). I saw a number of long threads, but no definitive fixes.
    > >
    > > So now what?

    > Boot off a TechTool Pro 6 recovery DVD or some other 3rd party hardware
    > and disk analysis utility. If it passes, decide if it's worth taking to
    > a Genius Bar to have them look it over and maybe run some standalone
    > diagnostics. If you can find said diagnostics "from pirated sources",
    > download those, run them, and see what they tell you.
    >
    > This may be a 'gut for parts' situation. Sounds like a logic board
    > dying.

    I wouldn't have thought it was a logic board problem *if* the MacBook
    still works properly when used "normally" (i.e. boot, use, Shutdown). I
    would simply turn off the Sleep options and continue to use it ...
    remembering to Shutdown if not planning to use it for a while.

    My Beige PowerMac G3 has never like Sleep and refuses to wake up again,
    which is one of the lesser reasons why I don't bother using Sleep and
    always Shutdown. (In fact, under Mac OS X 10.2, the computer will
    automatically go to Sleep after a random few hours and the only way to
    get it going again is to force a reboot - this never happened under Mac
    OS X 10.1 nor Mac OS 9.)

    Your Name, May 6, 2014
  4. isw

    Guest

    Michael Vilain <> writes:

    > Boot off a TechTool Pro 6 recovery DVD or some other 3rd party hardware
    > and disk analysis utility. If it passes, decide if it's worth taking to
    > a Genius Bar to have them look it over and maybe run some standalone
    > diagnostics. If you can find said diagnostics "from pirated sources",
    > download those, run them, and see what they tell you.

    You can pirate it directly from Apple.

    Using Apple Hardware Test
    http://support.apple.com/kb/ht1509

    Apple Hardware Test Images [older computers,
    includes instructions for their use]
    http://www.info.apple.com/support/aht.html

    Billy Y..
    --