Help me choose a motherboard

Discussion in 'AMD Thunderbird' started by Daniel, Aug 16, 2004.

  1. Daniel

    Daniel Guest

    Hi,
    I'm upgrading my current motherboard, since my XP2100+ processor died, and I
    decided to get a 3200+ to replace it.
    I don't want to spend out on an athlon 64 yet, so I thought I'd take
    advantage of the Athlon XP prices dropping due to the 64 coming out.

    I've already ordered the 3200+ processor, and I cannot decide on a
    motherboard. I think I've decided on an nforce2 board, but I just cant
    decide on which one.

    I keep narowing it down to a couple and then seeing another board that seems
    to claim it's betterthan the rest.

    I'm looking .. probably.. at either an Abit board (NF7-S or AN7 I think) or
    an EPox (8RDA+ or 8RDA3+), but I just cant decide. I don't want to miss out
    on any features, and I want thebest performance I can get. The problem I
    have is that the Abit's all seem to have very similar specs but for some
    reason different board numbers (NF2, NF2-S, NF2-S v2, NF2-S2... ) as does
    the Epox.. with the 8RDA+ and 8RDA3+. I just can't see which of these is the
    best, and what the differences are.

    Any suggestions woul dbe appreciated. Also, any websites offering reviews of
    the absolute latest SocketA motherboards would be good too.. I keep finding
    roundups and reviews that were from 2002 or early 2003, but none of the
    latest revisions of these motherboards...

    Thanks,
    Daniel.

    Daniel, Aug 16, 2004

  2. Daniel

    Morgan Guest

    As you are in the UK.....

    http://www.overclockers.co.uk/acatalog/Abit.html

    Abit NF7-S v2.0 nForce2

    You should have also gone there for your CPU and bought.........

    AMD Athlon "Mobile" XP2600-M Barton 266FSB

    http://www.overclockers.co.uk/acatalog/AMD_Athlon_XP__Mobile_.html

    My XP mobile 2.6 is running at 2500mhz, beyond that of a XP3200 that you
    have bought with no problem at all. There are no guarantees with O/C'ing but
    I wouldn't have paid what you have for your CPU.

    The only different board that I would have gone for (but ONLY if you want a
    very high FSB and have some good memory already) is the DFI Lanparty II
    Ultra B, but they are expensive.

    As for links....

    http://www.nforcershq.com/index.php

    If I was buying a new board and CPU I would seriously think about a AMD 64
    and not a Socket A type, especially for the cost of a XP3200 as you are
    getting is close to the cheaper Socket 754 chips, boards are about the same
    in cost.

    --
    Regards

    Morgan

    Hard drive noisy....
    www.flyinglizard.freeserve.co.uk

    Morgan, Aug 16, 2004

  3. Daniel

    BigBadger Guest

    BigBadger, Aug 16, 2004
  4. Daniel

    Mark Guest

    I have the Abit NF7-S v2.0 nForce2. Best board I've owned and I had a ASUS
    A7N8X Deluxe before.

    Mark, Aug 16, 2004
  5. I don't know if they're available yet but I would recommend the Epox
    EP-8RDA6+Pro. You can find the specs on the Epox UK website.

    Steve Midgley, Aug 16, 2004
  6. Daniel

    xman Charlie Guest

    Have 3 nf7 mbs. They are rock solid. 2 bartons, and an athlon, running them.

    xman Charlie, Aug 17, 2004
  7. It is good product.
    I have ASUS A7N8X-E DELUXE and i think that I did a good chose.

    M_Urb_Predator, Aug 20, 2004