help me choose between these three models (T42, T43)

Discussion in 'IBM Thinkpad' started by nmdc69, Feb 13, 2006.

  1. nmdc69

    nmdc69 Guest

    Hi all,
    I'm trying to decide between various models that I can have for about
    the same price.

    1) T42 2379RHU 14' XGA P745 (1.8 Ghz)
    2) T43 26686FU 14' SXGA P760 (2 GHz)
    3) T43 2686DFU 14' XGA P740 (1.73Ghz)

    Obviously 2) is a better but I'm very concerned about heat and noise.
    Not sure that SXGA or the extra Ghz will make a huge difference for
    me.
    They'd be nice to have only if noise and heat are OK.

    Any info about noise and heat in T43 26686FU or similar 14' 2Ghz T43
    models?

    thanks for your input.

    nmdc69, Feb 13, 2006

  2. nmdc69

    Tony Hwang Guest

    Hi,
    14'? maybe 14". Knit picking, LOL.

    Tony Hwang, Feb 14, 2006

  3. All 3 models will generate the same heat and noise; this is because all
    3 processors operate at the same voltage (they just have different
    multipliers). I have a Dell Latitude D610 (it's the Dell competitor to
    the T-series); it's a 2.0GHz (760) 14" SXGA+ screen, and it's great. I
    bought it about a month before the T43 was released else I probably
    would have gone with a T43 since my previous laptop was a T21. The
    Pentium M's are very quiet (esp. compared to the P4-M), and performance
    is great (I'm an engineer, and my D610 is constantly compiling/running a
    small DB and I barely hear it at work -- the T43 should be about the
    same). My suggestion is to go with at least a 3 year warranty, and if
    your need is not pressing, I'd personally wait for the Core Duo T60
    series. Lastly, I'd say the value of that extra 266MHz (1.73 vs. 2.0)
    is pretty minimal for most users -- you only will notice it if you're
    constantly pushing your processor. Personally I run Gentoo on my
    laptop, so I'm constantly compiling (I likewise notice the 10% difference).

    Nicholas Andrade, Feb 14, 2006
  4. nmdc69

    xoferiF Guest

    Hi.
    I'm using T43 DH2 with 1.73GHz/1G Ram/14" SXGA+
    I always run compilation/DB accessing on it. It's not that heat after
    long-time run. You can only sense a little heat on palm-rest. Noise is
    also OK, when the CPU fan is speeding up, it really make some noise,
    but soon it will go down. I think it's quite acceptable.

    xoferiF, Feb 14, 2006
  5. nmdc69

    jepsr Guest

    I own the T43 2668 75U which is similar to the units you describe
    notice no excessive heat or noise compared to my T21. I have it
    dual-booted with SUSE 10.0 and it is the best laptop I have purchased
    to date. Great size, fit and finish.

    jepsr, Feb 14, 2006
  6. nmdc69

    sapper Guest

    I have a T43 1.86 GHz, with a 14" XVGA (1410 x 1050) screen and a T42
    with 14" XGA (1024 x 768) - both have the same sound level. Once you
    get used to the XVGA screen you do not want to go back to the XGA
    screen.

    I keep both on 24/7 and have noticed no appreciable difference in heat
    output on the palm rest or elsewhere.

    sapper, Feb 14, 2006
  7. nmdc69

    nmdc69 Guest

    Thanks folks. I ordered the faster, better resolution T43.
    Can't wait to get my hands on it!

    nmdc69, Feb 15, 2006