    there but it would be nice to know what happened, (if there is some
    sort of flakiness going on)
    TIA

    paul, Feb 23, 2008

  2. paul

    Bill Rider Guest

    In my Clock preferences pane, I have to click two places: one to display
    the clock and the other to display it on the Menu Bar.

    Do you have plenty of room? I have ten items on the right side of my
    menu bar. If I go to my lowest display resolution, I lose four because
    there's not room. In some applications I lose more, including the clock.

    Bill Rider, Feb 23, 2008

  3. paul

    David Empson Guest

    The various items in the area on the right side of the menu bar (except
    for the Spotlight menu) are implemented by a process called
    "SystemUIServer".

    Launch /Applications/Utilities/Console and have a look through your
    Console log and System log, and in the crash logs, to see whether there
    are any messages relating to problems with SystemUIServer. It might be
    crashing, for example.

    If you can see evidence of repeating errors or crashes involving
    SystemUIServer, then it might be a problem with a third party menu extra
    which is not compatible with your version of Mac OS X, or corrupted
    preferences for some menu extra, or for SystemUIServer itself.

    You could try moving the com.apple.systemuiserver.plist file out to the
    desktop and see whether that fixes it (deleting this file will cause
    your list of menu extras to revert to the default).

    That file only lists the standard menu extras, not third party ones. For
    example, I have Little Snitch installed, and its menu extra is not
    listed in my com.apple.systemuiserserver.plist file.

    David Empson, Feb 24, 2008
  4. paul

    paul Guest

    Yes I have plenty of room for the icons