    looking up the P4U-LA technical manual on the ASUS site but no luck....it
    appears it was a custom micro-ATX board for this HP system.

    Please let me know where I can find the USB pin code for this mobo.

    TJM, Jul 23, 2004

  2. TJM

    Paul Guest

    http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/Document.jsp?objectID=bph07293&locale=en_US

    Since that is an OEM board, only HP will have the docs. It is roughly
    the same vintage as a P4B-M board, but doesn't look the same.

    Asus USB headers consist of 2x5 pins, of which nine pins are present
    and one pin is missing. There are two USB interfaces, occupying four
    pins each. The nineth pin is marked as "NC" or no connect.

    +5 D- D+ GND (No_connect)
    USBxx X X X X X <---- Top five pins goes to one
    X X X X USB interface. Last pin
    has no connection, leaving
    four pins used.

    USBxx X X X X X
    X X X X <---- Bottom has four pins and
    +5 D- D+ GND is keyed by the missing pin
    It forms the second interface.

    Now, the problem is, on an OEM board, anything is possible. Asus
    could have designed the USB header, to meet HP's requirements,
    rather than using the standard Asus header pattern.

    You could use an ohmmeter, and buzz from the USB pins on the front
    of the computer, to the cable assembly inside the case. Perhaps you
    can figure out the labelling of the pins that way. That would be
    safer than relying on the above info.

    Or, go to frontx.com, and make up a "drive tray" interface for
    whatever interfaces the D845HV offers.

    Paul

    Paul, Jul 23, 2004