Help needed to decode Toshiba SP6000 blink codes

Discussion in 'Laptops' started by 80n80n, Jun 10, 2005.

  1. 80n80n

    80n80n Guest

    I have a Toshiba SP6000 laptop that not functioning. It is saying the
    following to me using the Orange DC in led:
    dot-dash-dot-dot-dot-dash-dash-dot.

    I have found some instructions for decoding this for a Tecra 8100 which
    *might* be relevant but I'm hopeless at binary to hex conversion and
    don't know how to convert 01000110 into the appropriate error code.

    Following are the instructions. Can anyone figure out what the
    diagnosis should be?

    Many thanks
    Etienne

    --Instructions---
    If the power supply microprocessor detects a malfunction, the DC IN
    icon
    blinks orange. The blink pattern indicates an error as shown below.

    Start Off for 2 seconds

    Error code (8 bit)
    "1" On for one second
    "0" On for half second
    Interval between data bits Off for half second
    The error code begins with the least significant digit.

    Convert the DC IN icon blink pattern into the hexadecimal error code
    and compare it to the tables below.

    DC IN
    Error code Meaning
    01h AC Adapter output voltage is over 16.5V (15V+10%).
    02h Enhanced Port Replicator III output voltage is over 16.5V
    (15V+10%).
    04h AC adapter output current is over 3.96A (3.6A+10%).

    Battery pack
    Error code Meaning
    10h Main battery voltage is over 13.86V (12.6V+10%) or
    BATOV1 signal is detected.
    11h Main battery charge current is over 3.96A (3.6A+10%).
    12h Current flows from the main battery when the AC adapter is
    connected.
    13h Current flows toward the main battery when the AC adapter
    is not connected.
    14h Second battery voltage is over 13.86V (12.6V+10%) or
    BATOV2 signal is detected.
    15h Second battery charge current is over 3.96A (3.6A+10%).
    16h Current flows from the second battery when the AC adapter
    is connected.
    17h Current flows toward the second battery when the AC
    adapter is not connected.

    B5V output
    Error code Meaning
    20h B5V voltage is over 5.5V (5V+10%).
    21h B5V voltage is under 4.5V (5V-10%) when the computer is
    powered on.
    24h B5V voltage is under 4.5V (5V-10%) when the computer is
    suspended.

    B3V output
    Error code Meaning
    30h B3V voltage is over 3.63V (3.3V+10%).
    31h B3V voltage is under 2.97V (3.3V-10%) when the computer
    is powered on.
    34h B3V voltage is under 2.97V (3.3V-10%) when the computer
    is suspended.

    B12V output
    Error code Meaning
    40h B12V voltage is over 13.2V (12V+10%).
    41h B12V voltage is under 10.8V (12V-10%).

    CPUV2 output
    Error code Meaning
    60h CPUV2 voltage is over 2.75V (2.5V+10%).
    61h CPUV2 voltage is 2.25V (2.5V-10%) when the computer is
    powered on.

    Environmental condition
    Error code Meaning
    80h CPU temperature is over 125øC or below -20øC.
    81h Temperature near the HDD is over 125øC or below -20øC.
    82h Temperature near the PC card slot is over 125øC or below
    -20øC.
    88h CPU temperature is over 90øC, so the system enters
    resume mode and automatically shuts down.
    89h Temperature near the HDD is over 90øC, so the system
    enters resume mode and automatically shuts down.
    8Ah Temperature near the PC card slot is over 90øC, so the
    system enters resume mode and automatically shuts down.

    80n80n, Jun 10, 2005

  2. 80n80n

    Quaoar Guest

    It's 70 decimal. Bookmark this helpful link:
    http://acc6.its.brooklyn.cuny.edu/~gurwitz/core5/nav2tool.html

    01000110: each binary digit, from right to left:
    0 * 2^0 (two to the zero power) = 0 [the zeroeth power of any number is
    1 (one)]
    1 * 2^1 = 2 [the first power of any number is the number itself]
    1 * 2^2 = 4
    0 * 2^3 = 0
    0 * 2^4 = 0
    0 * 2^5 = 0
    1 * 2^6 = 64
    _________
    2+4+64 = 70

    Quaoar, Jun 10, 2005

  3. 80n80n

    80n80n Guest

    But it says "the error code begins with the least signficant digit", so
    wouldn't that make it:
    01100010:
    0*2^0 = 0
    1*2^1 = 2
    0*2^2 = 0
    0*2^3 = 0
    0*2^4 = 0
    1*2^5 = 32
    1*2^6 = 64

    64+32+2=98=62h

    But neither 62h nor 46h (70 decimal) are in the table, so I'm guessing
    that Tecra 8100 codes are not applicable to the Satellite pro range.

    Etienne

    80n80n, Jun 12, 2005