help needed with a dell front panel...

Discussion in 'Dell' started by p0laris, Oct 11, 2007.

1. p0laris

p0laris

:confused:

well ithis is a long story. It begins when i, sick and tired of my dell e310's pciXpressless motherboard, decided i needed to something about it.
    I got a intel btx mobo, which size was exactly the same as the dell mobo. Still i had to cannibalize the back of the case because of the different I\O panel but that was very predictable.

The problem is that the dell dimension e310' case frontpanel uses a IDE-like ribbon, ive never seen this before. It carries usb, front audio, front usb, power button and leds,
    "the thing" has 40 pins (2x20), and i need the pinout so i can connect it to my standard motherboard

i just dont want to open the case and shortcircuit the pwr pins to use my pc...

p0laris, Oct 11, 2007
  2. p0laris

gpooleii

yeah. I've got the same problem. My motherboard in the E310 croaked. I'm trying to upgrade to a Core 2 Duo. I've probably got the same replacement board as you do -- with the same problem. (and yes, I've going to have to hack out the back of my case too.)

Here's what I'm working on: I've contacted www.frontX.com to see if they make a power button component for their front panel system. They've got a cool thing going there. If they do, I'm in business. I can connect all the front panel components to the headers on the mother board.

If not... I'm in the same position you are - trying to figure out the pins of the Dell front panel and rigging connections through that system.

Let me know if you find anything.
    Glenn

P.S. send me a picture of your system. I'd like to see it. [email protected]

gpooleii, Dec 30, 2007
Ask a Question