    and created a bootdisk and used "fdisk /mbr". Now it just says
    "Missing Operating System". How do I fix this with having to reformat
    my hard drive or lose any data currently on it?

    Colin O'Dell, Jul 8, 2003

  2. Colin O'Dell

    Dave Guest

    boot from the XP CD.
    use the R command to enter the recovery console
    type fixmbr

    Dave, Jul 8, 2003

  3. Colin O'Dell

    zutme Guest

    //-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
    The easiest way to do this is to insert a Windows XP install disk
    (make sure your first boot device is set to cd-rom in your BIOS).
    Boot your PC with the disk in and wait until you are presented with
    some sort of dialouge asking you what you want to do. Press 'R' which
    will open your recovery console. At the prompt type 'FIXMBR'. This
    will set your MBR back to default, and you should be golden. This
    might be unecessary but dont include the quotes around the command
    that would be a real stupid mistake. I hope this works for you I had
    a similar problem a couple of months ago.

    zutme

    zutme, Jul 9, 2003
  4. Colin O'Dell

    tarl smith Guest

    good help but...

    ... if that dont work type 'FIXBOOT C:' instead, again without quotes

    tarl smith, Jul 9, 2003