    I have searched ATI site, and other places bu tcannot find a fix to this, or
    driver. what am I missing? do I need a new video card? , but then what about
    the 98SE thing, I don't see more updaed drivers than I have.

    *muffin*, Sep 7, 2006

  2. *muffin*

    peter Guest

    peter, Sep 7, 2006

  3. *muffin*

    The Kat Guest

    Run the driver disk that should have come with the display.

    This sig censored by the Office of Home and Land Insecurity...

    Remove XYZ to email me

    The Kat, Sep 7, 2006
  4. *muffin*

    Thomas Guest

    Try the latest drivers for Win9x. In my opinion, all Win9x are crap. I've
    never looked back after I stepped up to first 2k, then XP.
    You can easily navigate here through www.ati.com .

    I found them here;
    https://support.ati.com/ics/support/default.asp?deptID=894&task=knowledge&folderID=27

    If this doesnt work, try powerstrip.
    http://www.pcworld.com/downloads/file/fid,6241-order,1-page,1-c,alldownloads/description.html

    Good luck!

    Thomas, Sep 7, 2006
  5. *muffin*

    Scott Paist Guest

    I'd look for monitor drivers. Since the AIW 9xxx and newer all support
    higher resolutions than 1280x1024, it must be windows telling the card that
    the monitor can't go any higher. Also, it's been a while since I've used 98
    but I think there's a check box in the display properties that says
    something like "hide unsupported modes". Uncheck that and your resolution
    should be available.

    Scott

    Scott Paist, Sep 7, 2006
  6. *muffin*

    *muffin* Guest

    shoot I guess I forgot to mention I have the AIW radeon 8500.
    uhhhh should upgrading to the 9xxx's fix this?

    *muffin*, Sep 7, 2006
  7. *muffin*

    *muffin* Guest

    I only found it for XP.
    I have win98se

    *muffin*, Sep 7, 2006
  8. *muffin*

    *muffin* Guest

    no disk with display.

    when I first installed it, it seemed to go "OK" windows found driver for
    it, but I am not sure 'if' I did something playing around with the ati
    settings, since when I reboot the computer tells me it found an unknown
    device, & wants to install it, but I can't figure out what to look for,
    since it doesn't seem to find drivers on its own. arrghhhhh. so I cancel.
    (but it didn't look anydifferent than when I 1st installed it.)

    *muffin*, Sep 7, 2006
  9. *muffin*

    *muffin* Guest

    I understand that win95 for some is crap... but I really like it. plus I
    have games I still want to play that will only use win95/98 system ( I did
    not think there was a fix to the newer OS to handle these..... if I am
    mistaken, please point me in that direction)

    ok, I have searched the ATI site for drivers, it looks like the NEWEST ones
    for win98 is from 2005, I am pretty sure I have the newest updates from
    their site when I installed my card last year. uh,, ok, how can I be sure,
    I know there is a way to tell what drivers, (looking through the tabs of my
    ati properties I can't seem to find it)

    *muffin*, Sep 7, 2006
  10. Which AIW Radeon? Which interface (analog VGA or DVI)?

    Re: "the text is just not 'sharp' , like its ghosted"

    There are two possible explanations; it's possible that both are in play.

    First, if you are using an analog interface (VGA analog 15-pin
    connector), MOST of the monitor cables cause analog ghosting because
    they are not of adequate quality (this will be much worse if you use an
    extension cable).

    Second, ANY TIME that you run at a resolution other than the native
    resolution of the LCD panel, the dispaly has to be scaled, and this
    ALWAYS degrades quality and sharpness.

    For many reasons, you may be forced to move to Windows XP and also to
    upgrade your video card. I still run 98SE also, on this system (it's
    dual boot), but XP is a dramatically better OS than 98SE and it's really
    past time to move to XP for your mainstream applications. [Of course it
    goes without saying that XP itself is going to be replaced by Vista next
    year].

    I don't have a solution for you on the resolution issue, and you may
    need to replace the video card to support that resolution. Also, if the
    monitor has DVI, you should use (move to, if necessary) a DVI interface.

    Barry Watzman, Sep 7, 2006
  11. *muffin*

    The Kat Guest

    Odd, I just got a ViewSonic 19" widescreen a month ago,
    and it did have a CD. Installed the correct settings easily.

    What make is your display? Did you check their website?

    The Kat, Sep 7, 2006
  12. *muffin*

    Thomas Guest

    No... 8500 is equal to at least 9200 and 9000. If you dont need more 3D
    speed, upgrading is useless. The 8500 series usessame driver versions as the
    latest ATI cards.

    Like I suggested, if the latest ATI driver doesn't fix it, try Powerstrip.
    You can make a 'custom resolution' with that utility.

    Thomas, Sep 7, 2006
  13. No... 8500 is equal to at least 9200 and 9000. If you dont need more 3D
    Best advice in this whole thread and it will solve the OP's problem, unless
    the ghosting is caused by a monitor extension cable.

    It always kills me when someone runs into a problem and the first thing
    people recommend is to upgrade an OS. The OP clearly stated a preference for
    98 so they have to work around that constraint.

    Chuck U. Farley, Sep 7, 2006
  14. It's really irrelevant whether the monitor comes with a disk or not. A
    modern LCD monitor communicates with the video card to which it is
    connected over the "DDC channel" (DDC = display data channel), a special
    2-way serial port so that the monitor and display card can exchange
    information about which resolutions and refresh rates they can BOTH
    support. The "disks" that monitors sometimes come with are not true
    drivers but rather simply text files that contain the same information
    exchanged over the DDC channel, but modern systems use the DDC
    information and ignore the static information from the disks.

    Barry Watzman, Sep 8, 2006
  15. Re: "Like I suggested, if the latest ATI driver doesn't fix it, try
    Powerstrip. You can make a 'custom resolution' with that utility."

    While trying Powerstrip is good advice, in this case the display card
    probably really doesn't support a resolution that high .... that modern
    display may well have more pixels on it's screen than the largest
    display that existed when the AIW 8500 hardware was designed.

    Barry Watzman, Sep 8, 2006
  16. *muffin*

    David Lee Guest

    You'll find your card details on ATI's website:

    http://www.ati.com/products/discontinued.html

    The specs tab shows 2048x1536 as max resolution; does not show 1400 x
    1050.

    AFAIK the latest drivers for 98 are 5.2; you can see what you have on
    the options tab.

    My 8500LE has the same max resolution according to ATI's website, but
    the adapter tab on my pc (XP) shows a max of 1280 x 1024 on the "list
    all modes" on the adapter tab. That is the "limitation" of my 19" LCD.
    XP had no problems identifying my display; I don't know if a 6 year old
    OS can do the same.

    When I added an lcd (no disk)to a win95 box a few years ago, I had to
    get a file from the display manufacturer; you could try them.

    Good Luck

    Dave

    David Lee, Sep 8, 2006
  17. *muffin*

    *muffin* Guest

    yea tried the powerstrip
    it let me make a NEW custom resolution, (1400x 1050) but it didn't make any
    difference , in fact it was probably worse, since now everything was soooooo
    teeeny on my screen I had to make the icons bigger & also all the
    text.(which I probably would have to anyway doing this, right???( BUT when
    I went to web pages the text was wayyyyyyy too small to read comfortably)..
    so anyway I went back to the 1024x768.
    now after trying to get some info from ATI they suggested the radeon 9600
    series,, it should both let me get to the resolution & also run off of
    win98..... but ... it is not an all-in-wonder card.<dang>.... & **WILL** I
    still have the problem of eeentsy web page font?? or am I missing something?

    ((alright I 'might' eventually go to winxp,, but I'll probably dual boot
    first to see if I have problems with running some of my software))

    *muffin*, Sep 8, 2006
  18. *muffin*

    Thomas Guest

    Well, if 1400x1050 is a too high resolution for your eyes at 20", you
    shouldn't have bought it :) My girlfriend had that resolution on her 15"
    laptop screen, and will never want anything less :)
    A 1280x1024 19" might be better for your eyes.

    About the blurry part: you probly need to 'sync' the screen. 'Auto-adjust'
    is supported on most screens. This will align the signal to the exact
    location of the screen 'dots'.

    Thomas, Sep 8, 2006
  19. You are probably not adjusting the size of things correctly. What you
    want to do is run at the native resolution and have Windows adjust the
    DPI scaling. This setting is found in Display properties, settings /
    advanced / general / DPI settings. Select custom and drag the ruler as
    desired.

    Barry Watzman, Sep 8, 2006
  20. *muffin*

    The Kat Guest

    Which is TOTALLY irrelevant!

    I have an ATI Radeon 9250, and a ViewSonic 19" flatpanel display.

    I just reinstalled Win2K on a system, and it DID NOT detect the
    1440x900 display mode that is native to the ViewSonic.

    The CD that came WITH the display worked as intended and the
    system now does 1440x900.

    I have absolutely NO doubt that the original poster can find a
    'driver' for his display, and has wasted MUCH time and energy,
    and suffered MUCH frustration at being told he needs to upgrade
    his OS and all the other crap that has been posted.

    The Kat, Sep 8, 2006