Help - new PC doesn't have parallel port!

Discussion in 'PC Hardware' started by OhioGuy, Aug 15, 2008.

  1. OhioGuy

    OhioGuy Guest

    I was just getting ready to connect my Samsung laser printer, when I
    noticed my new PC doesn't have a parallel port at all! The printer only has
    a parallel port cable.

    I guess my choices would be to either:

    1) buy a new printer
    2) buy an adapter cable that would let me hook in to
    a USB port
    3) buy a PCI card with parallel port on it

    I think #1 is out for now, because I'd rather keep using my printer until
    it dies - which might be 2-3 years or more from now. #3 might be cheapest,
    but would leave me with only 1 PCI slot available on the motherboard. If I
    install the TV Tuner card I'm thinking of, then I won't have any available.

    So can anyone recommend an adapter cable that would work for me, hopefully
    under $10 shipped? Thanks!

    OhioGuy, Aug 15, 2008

  2. OhioGuy

    Bob Eager Guest

    Look on eBay for a print server. I got one with a heap of junk for about
    $10 on eBay a while ago. Small box, parallel printer socket and an
    ethernet socket. Plug into your network (or use a crossover cable if you
    have one) and there you are.

    Bob Eager, Aug 15, 2008

  3. OhioGuy

    Orggl Arhzn Guest

    Go to Dealextreme.com, they have every adapter and pci card you can
    think of, as well as fans and so on, all of which work and free
    shipping from HK. I just bought a fan for an old 9600XT and a
    pci/4Xsata card, all for about $15.00.

    Orggl

    Orggl Arhzn, Aug 16, 2008
  4. OhioGuy

    Arno Wagner Guest

    You will not get anything reliable for under $10 shipped.
    Generally the PCI card is the best option with the least
    risk of problems. The USB adapter is risky, but can work
    fine. Same for a print-server, as other here advise.

    Arno

    Arno Wagner, Aug 16, 2008