Help: Newbie to Serial ATA and P4 M/B installations

Discussion in 'Motherboards' started by Lionel Chin, Dec 5, 2003.

  1. Lionel Chin

    Lionel Chin Guest

    I had my P4 and first serial ATA drive and P4 system set up by the
    guys at the shop. But now that I've got enough money, I want to add my
    secondary serial ATA drive.

    I know how to set up the old systems-Ultra ATA drives etc. But with
    these new setups, I'm kind of uncertain of the order and procedures
    that you have to take.

    I'm using a Gigabyte 865PE m/b with both IDE ports taken up for my
    CD-ROMs. With the first serial ATA in, what order of steps between:

    1)The physical installation & wire connection
    2)Power-up
    3)Possible BIOS enabling
    4)Possible WinXP driver/detect new device
    5)Drive formatting
    6)anything else I missed out

    must I take to install my second serial ATA drive? Can I use WinXP's
    generic driver or do I have to use a specialized driver (it's a
    DiamondMax Plus 9 120GB SATA 150).

    Please help 'cos I don't want to burn out my new drive and the rest of
    my system. I know these new P4 and new technologies need different
    attention than the older ones.

    Thanks a great deal!

    Lionel Chin, Dec 5, 2003

  2. Lionel Chin

    Chris Guest

    If you know for a fact your cd-roms are on IDE 1,2 and your SATA HD is
    on SATA 1,you should be able to just plug your new SATA HD into SATA
    2.

    If your cd-roms are configured as a master/slave on IDE 1 or 2 and
    your SATA HD is set (routeted) to one of your IDE Channels "IN YOUR
    BIOS" you will have to reconfigure everything.

    What model is your motherboard?

    Chris, Dec 7, 2003