Help!! No pagefile.sys

Discussion in 'Tablet PC' started by Guest, Jul 12, 2003.

  1. Guest

    Guest Guest

    Hi:

    I've been seeing warning message like "your system is low
    in virtual memory or does not have pagefile set up..."
    I have tried to change the setting in control
    panel "system" many times, and restart the system, (I've
    following the detailed instruction) but the pagefile
    setting doesn't seem to take effect anyway. And when I
    checked the root directory under C:// there's
    no "pagefile.sys" existed at all. This has severely
    impacted on many of my applicagtions.

    Help!! Is there anyway to fix this without reinstall the
    system which would make me reinstall application software
    that I don't even have a copy at all.

    Thanks in advanced, I'd really really appreciate your
    advice.

    Thanks
    - Vicky

    Guest, Jul 12, 2003

  2. Guest

    Chris H. Guest

    Chris H., Jul 12, 2003

  3. Guest

    Guest Guest

    My TabletPC is Acer TravelMate 104CTi. with 256RAMB.
    Actually, if I configured teh file explorer to show
    hidden files, I will be able to see "pagefile.sys"
    I've also run a complete check with AntiVirus, and
    haven't found anything unusual.

    If I reinstall only the window xp part, I assume my user
    data (like documents) will not be destroyed, is this
    correct? But then, a lot of application may not be able
    to run at all (due to registry change, is this correct?)

    Thanks
    - Vicky

    Guest, Jul 13, 2003
  4. Guest

    Chris H. Guest

    I'm really not sure what you're attempting to do here. Did this problem
    suddenly start? Can you use System Restore for a Restore Point prior to the
    problem? And, have you installed anything which might be causing this
    issue?

    How about looking in Control Panel/Administrative Tools/Event Viewer and
    clicking the Application listing in the left panel. Then in the right pane,
    look for entries with either yellow exclamation points or red circles with
    white X's on them. You'll be able to right-click those and see a portion of
    the error message which could give an indication of what the problem is.

    You might also go to Start/Run and type in "msconfig" without the quotes,
    then hit OK. This will bring up the System Configuration Utility. You can
    go to the Services tab where you'll see an empty box next to "Hide All
    Microsoft Services." If you put a check mark in there, you'll instantly see
    what other programs are running things in the background. This may give an
    indication of a "problem child" also.

    And finally, I would go to www.lavasoftusa.com and download the free
    Ad-Aware program, then run that on your system to see if you've got any
    trojan programs on there. They do have a tendency to eat up resources and
    space sometimes.

    Chris H., Jul 13, 2003
  5. Vicky, Showing hidden files will not show the paging file. That is another
    setting a line or two below show hidden files and folders. It says hide
    protected operating system files. In any case right-click My Computer and
    choose Properties. Go to the Advanced tab. In the Performance section click
    the settings button and go to the Advanced Tab. Click the Change button in
    the Virtual Memory section. Increase the initial and maximum sizes and then
    click the Set button.

    Patty MacDuffie, Jul 13, 2003