Help: Onboard LAN on Asus P2B-L motherboard not working

Discussion in 'Asus' started by Buurin, Nov 9, 2003.

  1. Buurin

    Buurin Guest

    Hi everyone,

    I have a Asus P2B-L motherboard that has a failed onboard LAN (Intel
    82558-based). Windows 2000 and XP and the onboard indicator lights all says
    the network cable is disconnected (ie. link LED is never on), even though a
    cable is plugged in. The switch I plugged it into is working perfectly. I
    tested it with the diagnostic utility from Intel, ran and passed all tests
    including loopback. Board otherwise runs OK.

    I am desparately trying to verify if the LAN controller is faulty, or having
    proved that, find out what is wrong.

    I am crossposting this to sci.electronics.repair because I have a soldering
    iron and have used it before on other P2B series boards, so given the right
    pointers I can try component-level troubleshooting. I also got the 82558
    chip's datasheet.

    Any and all help is appreciated.

    Thanks
    Keith