    only to lose it again. Only once, the display came back by itself. When the
    display is black, the computer continues to function.

    Thanks...John

    John Albright, Jul 6, 2003

  2. John Albright

    neoh Guest

    Your backlight is going out. Try plugging in an external monitor and
    see if it does the same thing, you can also try updating your BIOS.
    Doing a hardware reset (push a paperclip in the hole in the back right
    of your computer for 1 minute) - and holding down the 'stanby' button.
    (That's the little button just beside the power button) - you may need
    to replace this little button. You can try fixing it yourself. Here's
    how you do it:

    -- Remove the AC adapter and battery.

    1. Remove the two screws from the back of the hinges (their may be
    rubber on them that you need to remove first)

    2. Tilt the display all the way back

    3. Remove the plastic board that's above the keyboard (that has all
    your buttons on it. ie. power button, one touch buttons, etc.)

    4. An easy way to do this is by taking a small phillips screwdriver,
    putting it under the plastic just above the HOME key and pry up. Then,
    take your screwdriver and pry it under the left hindge, and it will
    come up. It will be attached to a colored wire. Remove that wire VERY
    gently from the board (do not pull from the wire) - Once this comes
    out, make sure everything on the bottem of that board are screwed in
    tight - as well as the little button - make sure that's in all the
    way.

    Try again. If this does not fix the problem, the unit will need to be
    serviced - and in this case, it would be cheaper for you to buy a new
    notebook. HP charges $649 for the LCD to be replaced. If you buy the
    LCD by yourself, it will be over $1000.

    Hopefully this information helps you out.
    If you have any other questions, call the number below.

    PavilionNB SSR
    1-(800)-HP-INVENT

    neoh, Jul 16, 2003

  3. I have exactly the same problem. I tried plugging an external monito
    in and it does the same thing so I don't think it's the LCD. I als
    noticed that the longer the PC is on, the more likely it is to g
    blank. Once it goes blank, putting it in standby will bring it back
    but if you do it too quickly, it will just go blank again in a minut
    or less

    I suspect something heat related, but I have no way of confirming it

    Thomas J Moore, Aug 23, 2005
  4. John Albright

    ikenfixit Guest

    The inverter is not a part in the LCD and its easily changeable by th
    consumer. No need to tear into the bottom half of the laptop. Take th
    cosmetic covers off the screen bezel and then the phillips screw
    beneath. Then pull the bezel off and the inverter is accessible unde
    the screen. If the backlight is bad after trying the inverter we ca
    do these as well for around 129.00 on this model.

    ikenfixit, Aug 23, 2005