Help - PIO Mode - and LBA - BIOS parameters

Discussion in 'Abit' started by tb, Jul 28, 2003.

  1. tb

    tb Guest

    Hi,

    My computer crashed, and all the parameters of the BIOS have been erased.
    So, I choose to load default option, and I auto-detect my IDE peripherals.
    Then my computer boot, and all was OK
    Two days later, I tried to record a DVD+R. My computer crashed !

    Here is my config :
    Motherboard KT7A - Bios AWARD v6.00PG - 12/15/2000-8363-686B-6A6LMA19C-WW
    Athlon 1100 GHz
    Primary Master : HDD 80Go UDMA - Western Digital
    Primary Slave : HDD 80 Go UDMA - Maxtor
    Secondary Master : DVD+RW Ricoh MP5125A
    Secondary Slave : Hitachi DVD Player.
    Dual boot : 2 different Windows 2000 pro - SP2. (The first one, called W2kA
    is clean, the second one, called W2kB is a bad one because I
    install/deinstall anything, but it works.

    I made test, results follow.
    When I record a data DVD+RW (data are .zip and .rar files from my HDD), W2kB
    crash, the computer reboots
    When I copy a data DVD from the DVD Recorder to my HDD, W2kB crash, the
    computer reboots (I tried with different data DVDs)
    When I copy a data DVD from the DVD Player to my HDD, W2kB crash, the
    computer reboots (I tried with different data DVDs)
    When I copy a data DVD from the DVD Recorder to my HDD, W2kA crash, the
    computer reboots (I tried with different data DVDs)
    When I copy a data DVD from the DVD Player to my HDD, W2kA crash, the
    computer reboots (I tried with different data DVDs)

    So I'm sure it is not a Windows 2000 problem, because it fails with both
    W2kA and W2kB.
    I was working before my BIOS have been erased. (I don't need to upgrade my
    BIOS because it worked before)
    So I am pretty sure it is a problem of BIOS parameters.
    May be it is the PIO mode, but I don't know which parameters to set.
    Should I set my IDE drives, DVD recorded and DVD player to AUTO or LBA ?
    Does anybody have the same Motherboard and CPU than me ? I should be nice to
    send me the BIOS parameters, or to send me any WWW to find any information.

    ANY HELP WILL BE APPRECIATED.

    Thierry

    tb, Jul 28, 2003

  2. It is most likely an interrupt-sharing problem.
    See if you cand find out which devices are sharing interrupts.

    also:

    The "WW" Bios is old, there have been 9 releases of newer bios for KT7A
    since that one.
    Flash with the newest bios if the problem isn't solved otherwise.

    Jens C. Hansen [Odense], Jul 29, 2003

  3. tb

    tb Guest

    A friend gave me the solution this afternoon.
    I just de-installed VIA chipset drivers, and reinstalled it. (driver VIA
    4in1), and it works !
    Thanks everybody.

    tb, Jul 29, 2003