Help Please: connecting Abit KV8-Max3

Discussion in 'Abit' started by Nick Pitfield, Apr 28, 2004.

  1. Greetings,

    I'm trying to wire up my new home-built PC:

    - Antec P160 tower case
    - Antec TruePower 550W PSU
    - Abit KV8-MAX3 mainboard
    - AMD Athlon64 3200+ CPU/heatsink/fan
    - 2x Corsair XMS3200LL Pro 512MB RAM
    - Sapphire Radeon 9800Pro graphics card
    - Creative Audigy 2 ZS sound card
    - 2x WD 36.7GB Raptor SATA HDD (will be mirrored)
    - 2x Samsung Spinpoint 120GB SATA HDD (will be mirrored)
    - Seagate Barracuda 40GB PATA HDD
    - Pioneer DVR-107 DVD/CD writer
    - Sony 3.5" floppy drive
    - Creative Inspire T7700 7.1 speakers
    - Logitech Desktop Cordless MX Bluebooth keyboard+mouse

    Now it's gone well so far: I've spent about 6 hours carefully putting
    things together, and everything is physically installed, but I have a few
    questions on some yet-to-be-made connections:

    1) The Antec PSU has a 3-pin fan signal connector (though only the outer
    pins - GND and Sensor - are wired). The mobo has 5x 3-pin fan sockets -
    CPUFAN1, NBFAN1 and SYSFAN1 are all used, but AUXFAN1 and AUXFAN2 are
    empty. Do I connect this fan signal connecter to one of these spare fan
    sockets ?

    2) The Antec case front panel has 2x temperature sensors on long wires -
    the suggestion is to connect one to the mobo and one to a HDD. How do I
    connect these ? solder, sellotape, ear wax, bluetack, epoxy glue, thermal
    paste ?

    3) The Antec case front panel has a number of cables with 2-pin connectors
    for HDD LED (HLED), Power LED (PLED), Reset Switch (RST) and Power On (PWR-
    ON). According to both the case and mobo manuals these connect on to the
    FPIO1 header.
    As per the manuals I've connected HLED to pins 1+3, RST to pins 5+7, and
    PWR-ON to pins 6+8; and in all three cases I've connected the coloured
    cable/pin to the leftmost (positive) connector and the white cable to the
    rightmost (negative) connector - is that correct ?

    Additionally, the PLED is supposed to be connected to pins 16+20 (pin 18 is
    blank), and the 2-pin connector obviously won't stretch across a 3-pin
    distance ! What do I do here - do I have to split the connector ?

    4) The Antec front panel has a number of cables with single pin connectors
    for FireWire/1394. The cables are TPA+ and TPA-, TPB+ and TPB-, VP (power),
    and VG (ground). Now the FireWire/1394 mobo header contains 10 pins:
    Pins 1+2 (TPA0+ and TPA0-)
    Pins 3+4 (GND and GND)
    Pins 5+6 (TPB0+ and TPB0-)
    Pins 7+8 (+12V and +12V)
    Pin 9 (blank)
    Pin 10 (GND)
    I guess the TPA and TPB cables are obvious, but which pins do I connect the
    VP and VG cables to as I seem to have 2x +12V and 3x GND to choose from !
    Should I, for example, use VP=7, VG=3 ?

    Thanks in anticipation...

    Nick Pitfield, Apr 28, 2004