Help Please - I need a mobo! - Please read inside

Discussion in 'AMD Overclocking' started by Pete, Aug 14, 2003.

  1. Pete

    Pete Guest

    Hi Guys and Gals - firstly, I do appreciate that this is most likely not
    the correct place to post this but I have not been able to find somewhere
    more relevant.

    If this is truly not a good place to post my questions, I offer my
    apologies and ask you to please point me in the direction of a good e-group
    and/or relevant URL.

    Many thanks and here goes.

    Having decided to stick with AMD processors as they provide the best bang
    for the buck, my challenges really started. Hence this post.

    What I am looking for is a first class, very reliable mobo to take a
    2600+ (decided that this was the best value around at the moment - please
    let me know if I am wrong).

    I anticipate paying around the same price for the mobo as the proc but am
    happy to be convinced to pay more of less.

    I suspect that I will upgrade the board before I have a proc using FSB400.

    Must have support for more than 4 eide drives.

    SATA might be a worthwhile addition.

    LAN on-board might be useful.

    Audio and video onboard, not too useful, as far as I am aware(?)

    I am not a gamer with high 3D needs.

    A slew of ports for all of the options like firewire etc is needed.

    Soft tweaking of mobo parameters is preferred to links and switches.

    Well that's all folks....

    Any suggestions/comments/recommendations welcomed.

    Many thanks for any help that you care to offer.

    Pete

    Pete, Aug 14, 2003

  2. Pete

    RD Guest

    Hi Pete,
    [snip]
    Asus Nforce2 mobo might suit:)
    Asus A7N8X dlx mobo about 90 quid or so in the UK
    NForce 2 chipsets support FSB400
    Above mobo has 4xEide133 support as well as SATA Raid
    and Firewire, USB1 & 2 with 2 lan nics built in and sound
    onboard equiv to 5.1 or better.
    see above:)
    There are a few NF2 chipset mobos with onboard video
    Above mobo has all that you want incl the ability to o/c if you ever need
    too. You will need a decent AGP4x or 8x Gfx card tho.. Be warned it will
    NOT take an AGP 1 or 2x card..

    In addition it has dual chan ddr support as well as single. 3 mem slots for
    up to 1.5 gig:)

    Have a look at the Asus web site and also www.anandtech.com and/or
    www.tomshardware.com for reviews on current mobo's etc..
    Please also be aware that sometime at the end of this year or into
    next year Amd64 cpu's should be out and there will no doubt be
    a plethora of mobo's to suit... Nforce3 pro chipsets are already
    shipping etc.. Add M$ Windows support and its probably
    gonna be the way to go in the near future.. so if you can hang
    on until Q1 or 2 cof next year for a new rig it would make
    sense to do so:)

    Cheers,
    RD

    RD, Aug 14, 2003

  3. Pete

    Pete Guest

    Thanks for the rapid response and detailed suggetions. They have certainly
    given me food for thought.

    The board itself does look like it would cover virtually all my needs. The
    only fly in the pie is that it will only allow 4 coventional eide drives.
    At the moment, I have a CD-RW drive, a DVD drive and two hard drives on my
    machine and I also have two mobile racks for additonal drives. I also plan
    a DVD writer and this combination is why I need a mobo with EIDE RAID
    onboard as I can then hang all of these without installing another
    controller.

    Do Asus produce anything to match this please? I looked around the site
    without success.

    Thanks again for the input and any further thoughts you care to offer.

    All the best

    Pete

    Pete, Aug 14, 2003
  4. Pete

    RD Guest

    Hi Pete,

    Sorry Pete but I simply dont know..I didnt see one with eide raid either:-/

    However you can AFAIK use eide drives on sata controlers using an
    adaptor... I think that its possible these days with SATA being seen
    as 'the' drive interface to go for that many mobo manufs are probably
    going to use sata for raid rather than eide.. I dont use sata myself,
    I just got an eide raid card (ata100) for 28 quid or so and use that
    for additional drives. I find its easier to sort out problems if you
    can take a component out and check it on another rig if there's a
    problem.. with onboard kit you dont have that option..

    At one time I had 2 scsi hard drives, 2 eide hard drives on raid
    and a cdrw a cd and one eide HDD on the onboard controller:)

    I took the scsi card and drives out when my psu started to play
    up under the load:)

    The psu problem is also a pointer to one you may run into with a lot
    of kit hanging off the internal supply, mine is a 350 watt enermax,
    usually pretty good, but if you hammer a psu with max load over
    a long period of time, its going to feel it. And the really hefty
    psu's cost a bomb, 200 quid or so for a psu on top of everything
    else can ruin a tight budget:-/

    Cheers,
    RD

    RD, Aug 15, 2003
  5. Pete

    Amir Facade Guest

    GigaByte GA-7VAXP Ultra should do what you want. Not a great overclocker,
    but really stable.
    http://www.giga-byte.com/MotherBoard/Products/Products_GA-7VAXP-A Ultra.ht

    :

    Amir Facade, Aug 17, 2003
  6. Pete

    Amir Facade Guest

    Sorry about that. Try This one.
    http://tw.giga-byte.com/MotherBoard/Products/Products_GA-7VAXP-A Ultra.htm

    : GigaByte GA-7VAXP Ultra should do what you want. Not a great overclocker,
    : but really stable.
    :
    http://www.giga-byte.com/MotherBoard/Products/Products_GA-7VAXP-A Ultra.ht
    : m
    :
    :
    : : : Hi Guys and Gals - firstly, I do appreciate that this is most likely not
    : : the correct place to post this but I have not been able to find
    somewhere
    : : more relevant.
    : :

    Amir Facade, Aug 17, 2003
  7. Pete

    Pete Guest

    Great stuff Folks - thank you for all the great input and please keep
    feeding me with any more thoughts that anyone has.

    What about my choice of processor = 2600 - should I be looking at something
    different and if so, please tell me why? Also, what about the onboard video
    and audio options? Are they good, bad or what?

    Thanks again.

    Pete.

    Pete, Aug 17, 2003
  8. What I am looking for is a first class, very reliable mobo to take a
    ABit Nf7-s v2 - great board
    Has 2 ATA ports & 2 SATA
    come with 1 ATA to SATA conecter
    Great 5.1 sound & AGP 4x8x Port
    Yes
    ----
    Athlon XP 2800+ Barton @ 2.3gigs [11.5x200] on a Abit NF7-s [v2 MB]
    Daytona Geforce4 4200 128megs [4345 drivers], ADSL Modem on Nforce nic
    2x512megs Kingston PC3200 DDR, Panasonic DV Camera on Firewire
    2x80gig Seagate Ide drives on SATA Port (using Abit ATA converters) (C: &
    D:)
    Liteon 16x48 DVD & 1x80gig Seagate Ide drive on ATA port1
    Liteon CDRW 52x24x52 & Pioneer 106 DVD+-RW Writer on ATA port2
    Xerox Laser & Canon printer & scanner on USB ports
    running Windows XP Pro great, all my games & programs work great

    Gary Colligan, Aug 17, 2003