Help please --- KR7AR 133 and large hard drives.

Discussion in 'Abit' started by Captain Paraletic, Aug 25, 2003.

  1. I am new to this n/g so please bear with me..

    The above motherboard is working fine and I use the RAID controller
    "as basically" extra h/d slots.

    System: Windows Xp pro sp 1with 48-bit LBA support added

    I have a 160 gig maxtor Diamond max that I want to replace an 80 gig
    Maxtor (this is going into a new machine) both NTFS formatted
    The problem is that all I can get the machine to recognise is128 gig
    on the new H/D, although when booting up and going into the RAID set
    up ( which I don't use) it sees it as a 160 gig.

    I have been round and round in circles trying to ascertain where I am
    going wrong, and I am sure it it something (like myself) simple...

    Also reading through this n/g ( I didnt know it existed) could you
    infrom me what the fastest athlon porcessor I can use. Currently I am
    using a 2100 but it seems it may support a faster one although the
    Abit bios site doesnt make this very clear.

    Thanks in anticipation

    Cp
    I want to die in my sleep like my grandfather,
    not kicking and screaming like those in the back
    of his car....

    Captain Paraletic, Aug 25, 2003

  2. Captain Paraletic

    0_Qed Guest

    If you can 'stand' us ... welcome. :)

    I'd suggest dbl chk the install of SP-1 ... bare XP has no native 48_bit
    LBA,
    I "think" ...
    it had the 137GB barrier ... maybe?

    Try 'ovals' ... circles get you sick.

    Enable 48-bit Logical Block Addressing Support for ATAPI Disk Drives in
    XP

    ==> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;303013

    "Wes"( a freq poster ) aughta know ...
    look for his posts, or use Google Groups with appropriate 'arg' .
    Geeze ... baited breath and 'all' ... `eh ?
    Admirable 'wish' ...

    :)
    Qed.

    PS Vote for Jerry P. as Da Gov of Calafornicacia ...

    0_Qed, Aug 25, 2003

  3. After updating bios and ensuring LBA 48 is supported I still have a
    prob.

    If I connect the 160 gig h/d to IDE port 1 or 2 it is fine recognised
    as such BUT if connected to RAID it goes back to 128 gig... is this
    something to do with the raid controller??

    again thanks all for your assistance

    Captain Paraletic, Aug 27, 2003