    tab)appears a "Code 11" error. Can anyone help me???

    Thanks in advance, and sorry for my poor english.

    Roberto

    Roberto, Oct 24, 2003

  2. Roberto () wrote:
    with editing...
    : Hi!! Recently my brother gave me his Portégé 7000CT, I installed my
    : old PCMCIA Mariner 33.6 fax-modem/LAN adapter (HDD formatted and
    : Win98SE new installation), Windows "automatically" recognized the card
    : but only the modem function, but I only used it for the LAN function,
    : I downloaded the drivers from Motorola but still appears only the
    : fax-modem. Following my good luck I used another LAN PCCard (3Com
    : 10/100 LAN CardBus) and when finished the installation Windows stop
    : working, reset the laptop and under the properties (device manager
    : tab)appears a "Code 11" error. Can anyone help me???

    Code 11 means device failure. Usually, that means the driver is
    faulty, or the software is incompatible with your BIOS.
    You've downloaded the latest driver, so now you have to check if
    there is a newer FlashBios for that laptop.
    I'd be inclined to purchase another PCCard rather than flash the
    BIOS, as I've had several failures. The hurtin' part is that none of
    them were my fault.

    But before you do that, start up the find utility and look for
    msinfo32.exe. Run it and hit hardware and IRQs. Scan the list to
    see if there are any IRQs left. Could be that the PCI sharing
    does not want to share an IRQ with a network card.

    If that is so, you can run ControPanel, select system and then
    hardware profiles. Create a new profile and disable some device
    that you are sure you don't need. Then go back to controlPanel
    and select "add new hardware" from WITHIN the new hardware profile.

    Or, since you don't need the modem, you might try "add new hardware"
    then don't use the pnp option, and bypass the autosearch but
    choose the third option which will be something like "I'll choose
    what I want to install". Then attempt to install the network option
    on the PCCard but bypass the modem option.

    To summarize, this is a highly iterative process. Make good notes
    so you can restore the system if the chosen path leads nowhere.

    Regards. RAF

    Roy A. Fletcher, Oct 24, 2003

  3. Roberto

    Roberto Guest

    Code 11 means device failure. Usually, that means the driver is

    Hi Roy! I took your advice and disabled some devices, later I
    installed the PCcard and it was recognized by the system!!

    Thanks a lot, and sorry for my poor english.
    Roberto

    Roberto, Oct 28, 2003