HELP!! Ref G6 333 mghz Video Display (need video card)

Discussion in 'Gateway' started by Lee Bray, Jul 14, 2004.

  1. Lee Bray

    Lee Bray Guest

    Ok, tried it all, even to the point of calling GW and downloading new
    drivers and installing them and still have the same problem, I keep losing
    the screen resolution of 1020 down to 640. So I will follow advice and buy
    a new video card for this 6 year old computer.

    Would anyone hazard a guess at what I should buy? I am not a gamer, but if
    I understand it correctly I might be able to speed up my computer by buying
    a video card with memory? If I read this correctly I have a MPACT-2 Media
    Processor which I assume is part of the motherboard.

    What video card should I consider that might cure my problem and "maybe"
    improve performance of the computer? and if you know what would it cost!

    BTW again thanks to all that have offered their suggestions and cures! I
    really appreciate it.

    Lee

    Lee Bray, Jul 14, 2004

  2. Lee Bray

    Ben Myers Guest

    Lee,

    Either ATI or Matrox PCI cards ought to work fine. Neither has pushed its PCI
    designs to the point where they cannot run in the older PCI 2.0 bus in your
    system. Figure no more than $25 for an 8MB or 16MB card.

    I wouldn't mess with other chipsets. nVidia consistently pushes the limits.
    The other graphics chipset manufacturers are no longer factors in the industry.
    Matrox may soon be a casualty to the ATI-nVidia domination, but I've been
    impressed by their product quality for a long time, both hardware and drivers.

    .... Ben Myers

    Ben Myers, Jul 14, 2004

  3. Lee Bray

    Lee Bray Guest

    Hi Ben

    Thanks for your speedy reply, will purchase one, probably
    the ATI based on your comments. Appreciate the help.

    Lee

    <ben_myers_spam_me_not @ charter.net (Ben Myers)

    Lee Bray, Jul 14, 2004