Help request from Italy... my motherboard GA-8SQ800 is broken?

Discussion in 'Gigabyte' started by Francesco, Jul 9, 2004.

  1. Francesco

    Francesco Guest

    Hello.

    Sorry for my English.

    I'm italian and I live in Rome.

    I've bought a few months ago some Pc components (Motherboard, Ram, etc.) and
    now my Pc is:

    Processsor : Pentium IV 2.4 GHz
    Motherboard : Gigabyte GA-8SQ800
    Video Card : Hercules Ati Radeon 9700

    I tested these Ram modules (in single mode, not DUAL) with
    Memtest86 (http://news.swzone.it/swznews-11573.php)

    - DIMM TwinMos 512 Mb DDR 400 MHz (PC3200) 184 pin

    - DIMM Kingston 512 Mb DDR 400 Mhz (PC3200) 184 pin

    Kingston module seems to go ok, but TwinMos doesn't.

    I've seen in the TwinMos site (www.twinmos.com) but my TwinMos Ram Module
    seems to be compatible with my Motherboard.

    What do you think about it?

    Is my motherboard broken? Help me, please...

    Thanks a lot.

    Francesco

    P.S. - I updated all drivers in my Pc.

    Do you know any compatibility

    Francesco, Jul 9, 2004

  2. Francesco

    Francesco Guest

    Hey.

    I've gone into BIOS, into Advanced Chipset Features and I've seen this
    message:

    WARNING: WRONG DRAM.
    Timing may make system can't boot.
    Clear CMOS to overcome wrong timing issue.

    Maybe this is the problem...

    What do you think about it?

    My settings now are:

    Configure DRAM Timing : Auto
    CAS Latency Settings : Auto
    DRAM Ras Active Time : 6T
    DRAM Ras Precharge Time : 3T
    DRAM Ras to Cas Delay : 3T
    Dual Channel mode : Enabled
    AGP Aperture Size : 64 Mb
    AGP Fast Write Support : Auto

    Francesco, Jul 9, 2004

  3. Francesco

    Ale Guest

    Prova a impostare il cas non in automatico ma prova 3 poi 2.5 o 2 se li
    hai..poi vedi se va o cambia ram..per il dual channel metti 2 bachi identici
    non solo come marca ma anche come sigle dei chip..prova anche a
    disattivarlo.
    Spero che risolvi ...ciao

    Ale, Jul 9, 2004
  4. Francesco

    NickM Guest

    I don't think your board is broken. I have this board too. It is very
    picky about the brand of RAM used. I have TwinMOS PC3200 installed and it
    can sometimes (rarely) be a little unstable if running 4 256MB sticks all at
    400MHz in single mode (it is a little confusing, but when the board reports
    'Single Mode' I understand it is in Dual Channel configuration and giving
    you the benefits of greater bandwidth) - occasional random resets. With a
    different brand of RAM the board wouldn't boot at all with 4 sticks present.
    I found the board would boot with only one stick of RAM in place. With this
    configuration, I simply slowed the FSB for the RAM to 333MHz and then put
    the other 3 sticks of RAM back in. I have experienced quite a few Gigabyte
    boards like this that are very specific about the brand and model of RAM
    module that should be used. (I have a GA-8KNXP v2.0 with Corsair Twin-X
    CL2 DDR400 matched memory modules which were very expensive - however I had
    assumed that this memory was going to be compatible. Apparently it isn't
    without manual intervention. Happily that board is very stable after I
    tweaked the memory settings as suggested by other users). Depending on the
    particular brand and conditions of warranty, you might be able to achieve
    stability by increasing the RAM voltage slightly and/or manually modifying
    RAM timings.

    In reality, you should use a brand and model of RAM that's been approved by
    Gigabyte for use with this board. Your situation might be improved if there
    is a newer BIOS (I haven't bothered checking recently as my machine is
    stable and switched on 24/7) which addresses memory issues.

    Nick

    NickM, Jul 11, 2004
  5. Ok, I also have an 8SQ800 Ultra. I'm running cheapo memory at 333 no
    problem, 2 512 meg sticks.

    The ONLY thing wrong is I can't use AGP 8x. 4x is fine, if I try and
    use 8x, the machine locks up sooner or later, usually sooner. I have
    latest driver, etc. Radeon 9800 Pro 128.

    Any suggestions or just forget it>

    James B. Davis, Jul 16, 2004