Help required Asus A7N8X deluxe power oddity

Discussion in 'Asus' started by Sie, Apr 29, 2004.

  1. Sie

    Sie Guest

    Recently and for no apparent reason when shutting down from windows XP the
    PC would shutdown and you would hear the drives power down e.t.c and the
    power light would go out but the hard drive light would stay on permenantly
    and the cpu/AGP card and chassis fans would stay on. Only by switching the
    hard switch on the back could I get the whole PC to completely power off.

    A strange problem but although a concern was not seroius as I could power
    the PC back on as normal by pressing the power button on the front and all
    would boot up and operate as normal until I once again wanted to power off
    the PC and the same thing happened again.

    I scoured the internet looking for similar problems and found only one
    thread that matched my problem with the conclusion being to accept the PC
    was working ok and not to worry about it. Being a bit of a prefectionist
    when it comes to my PC I was not happy but accepted this.

    Until now that is when I went to power up the PC this morning. I switched on
    the hard switch at the back as normal and the HD light and fans came on as
    normal but when I puched the power swith I got nothing.

    Basically to cut a long story short. I have disconnected everything and
    taken off all memory e.t.c to leave just the cpu,motherboard and PSU
    connected and still cpu fan powers up just by putting the power cable in the
    back and switching the Hard power switch on the PSU. I have even taken the
    MB off it's mountings and held it away from the case and exactly the same
    thing happens.

    I have swapped the PSU with another that I know works. I have swapped the
    CPU with another I know works and exactly the same thing.

    The only conclusion I can come to is that there is some kind of short or
    fault on the motherboard. Before I give in and have to replace it. Does
    anyone have any suggestions?

    Thanks in advance

    Sie

    Sie, Apr 29, 2004

  2. Sie

    Paul Guest

    Maybe the motherboard has a short between +5VSB and +5V ? If you have
    an ohmmeter, you could disconnect the ATX 20 pin connector and check for
    a short between pins. Generally, returning the motherboard is the
    only option, unless the short is an obvious solder blob somewhere.

    HTH,
    Paul

    Paul, Apr 29, 2004

  3. Sie

    Rivergoat Guest

    Have you recently installed any programs? I just built a PC on that
    same mobo and it took me over 3 weeks to solve the same kind of
    problem. Turned out to be an HP backup program; once removed all is
    well.

    Then the other night I was testing some wma-mp3 converter utilities
    and found that program also left the PC up, although I could soft off
    from the keyboard (something that didn't work with regards to the HP
    glitch). I also removed that program and all is well again.

    Not sure if it's an ASUS thing or what; I've run into shut down issues
    on 2 different models of ASUS mobos.....

    Rivergoat, Apr 30, 2004
  4. Sie

    Tim Guest

    I agree with Mr Goat.

    There are several programs around that can be configured to shutdown when
    they have finished doing what they have to do.

    You current problem (may be separate and coincidental) may be the result of
    Power Fail / Restart settings in the bios. I forget the settings but
    basically the intent is if you have a UPS and the power goes off without a
    tidy shutdown, then one of the settings is to automatically power on when AC
    is restored so that the UPS can restart the system automatically. May be
    not...

    - Tim

    Tim, Apr 30, 2004
  5. Sie

    Sie Guest

    My problem did not ever lye with locked up shutdowns. As far windows was
    concerned the PC had shutdown successfully and the all powered off including
    power light apart from fans and HD light which then stuck on.

    It is however only yesterday that the PC will not switch on at all and only
    the fans and hd light comes on as soon as I plug the power cable in.

    If this is a BIOS restart setting then how do I reset it?

    Thanks

    Sie

    Sie, Apr 30, 2004
  6. Sie

    Tim Guest

    Sie
    That won't be a bios setting although it could be a corrupt bios or bios
    chip, video card, psu, or many other things. Sounds more serious than that.
    - Tim

    Tim, May 1, 2004