Help save a couple of AC200's from the scrap heap?

Discussion in 'Sun Hardware' started by James Noyes, Feb 9, 2007.

  1. James Noyes

    James Noyes Guest

    I have three Netra AC200's, only one of which is working.
    I'd like to see if there's any way to salvage the other two.

    The two that are dead both behave the same - when plugged in, the
    wrench/fault light blinks three times. The lom comes up fine and is
    responsive, but the system refuses to power up. I tried "powerup" from
    the lom prompt and using the power switch on the power supply itself. No
    luck.

    Using the good machine as a donor, I've been able to determine that the
    problem is definitely somewhere on the mainboards. Switching out the
    system configuration card and reader, the power supply, the CPU, the
    NVRAM, the memory, or the disks with the good system does not change the
    behavior of the dead ones at all. I've checked the jumpers, and they're
    identical on all three systems. The only thing that changes the dead
    machines' behaviors at all is closing one of the two jumpers on the board
    related to "debug" - this makes the wrench light not flash, but the lom
    also doesn't come up.

    Apparently this failure mode is somewhat common, as I've been able to find
    about half a dozen examples of other people with identical symptoms
    through google. Unfortunately, in none of these cases has anyone managed
    to find a fix, or if they did, they didn't bother to share it.
    Some examples:
    http://forum.java.sun.com/thread.jspa?threadID=5112333
    http://www.tutorials-be.com/sunhardware/Netra-blinking/

    Before these machines end up consigned to the scrap heap, can anyone
    suggest what might be required to get them back from the "dead"?

    Replies in-group are fine, I'll read them.

    James Noyes, Feb 9, 2007