Help ! speech can't be activated for input panel

Discussion in 'Tablet PC' started by Hai Xu, Sep 17, 2003.

  1. Hai Xu

    Hai Xu Guest

    Hi,

    It worded all the time, today it suddenly stop working.

    I bring up input panel as usual, and click speech in tools,
    speech toolbar shows up as usual, however, both
    Dictation and Command buttons are disabled (in grey color) so that I can't
    start speech reco.

    I can still train the engine, and everthing about training is OK, so I guess
    speech reco engine is on.

    Any clue why this problem appears and how to solve it ?

    Thanks

    Hai Xu

    Hai Xu, Sep 17, 2003

  2. Hai Xu

    terri Guest

    This is a suggestion that was originally posted by Sears Young -

    Have you tried logging in as a different user to verify whether this happens
    for all users? Also, if it's not consistent across multiple user accounts,
    can you try the following using the account that's having the problem:

    1. Shut down all running applications.
    2. Open a command prompt.
    3. Type: cd %userprofile%\application
    data\Microsoft\Speech\Files\UserLexicons <press enter>
    4. Type: ren *.dat *.bak <press enter>
    5. Type: exit <press enter>
    6. Open the Speech Control Panel applet.

    If this works, then more than likely what happened is your speech lexicon
    data file(s) got corrupted somehow.

    Please let us know if this helps.

    terri, Sep 17, 2003

  3. Also note that your thread input locale (reflected in your language bar)
    must be matching that of your speech locale. If it does not match your
    speech locale, then the dictation and commands buttons will remain greyed
    out.

    --

    Mason Jensen

    newsgroup purposes only.

    Mason Jensen [MSFT], Sep 18, 2003
  4. Hai Xu

    Hai Xu Guest

    Thanks
    No, this doesn't help.
    However, I notice that sapisvr.exe is not shown in windows task manager's
    process window.
    when i open speech control panel in control panel,
    sapisvr.exe shows in process window, however,
    still bottons are grey for input panel.

    sometimes, I reboot system, sapisvr.exe shows in process window, which I
    guess this time sapisvr.exe starts successfully, then thing works.
    So I think my system has problem starting sapisvr

    The other problem is that, even though speech works for input panel,
    however, I can't switch to another engine
    in speech control panel, it will pops up a message showing something like
    "... speech engine is running, action is not acceted, .....".

    thanks

    Hai

    Hai Xu, Sep 19, 2003