Help: Strange Behavior with DFI NF4 LanParty, OCZ RAM and Opteron 150 Venus

Discussion in 'AMD Overclocking' started by Pete, Apr 17, 2006.

  1. Pete

    Pete Guest

    Hi all:

    I have built a system with the 939 DFI UT NF4 Ultra-D LanParty Board. I
    have 4x1 GB of PC4000 OCZ Gold XTC DDR sticks. The cpu is an Opteron 150
    Venus. I have not begun to overclock yet. I am using the latest DFI BIOS,
    it is the Nov 2005. I am using stock cooling.

    When I put all 4 sticks of RAM in the board, the CMOS only reporst 3.2 GB of
    RAM is this normal? I realize that it is normal for the RAM to be
    recognized as 166 MHz.

    I want to run memtest on each stick individually.

    When I put one stick in DIMM 1, the system will not boot. It beeps twice
    and I get a blank screen on the monitor. If I clear the CMOS, the system
    will boot once, but not twice. I only have this behavior when I boot with
    one stick. I have not tried booting with two sticks, yet.

    Any ideas? I am stuck at this point.

    TIA,

    Pete

    Pete, Apr 17, 2006

  2. Pete

    Pete Guest

    When I put the stick into DIMM 2 (orange) instead of DIMM 1 yellow,
    everything works as it should. I also compared bench marks between the 166
    and 200 MHz speeds and no detectable difference using the MATLAB benchmark,
    so it looks like the HT bus allows one to use cheaper and slower RAM.

    Let you know how well it all works out.

    Happy computing,

    Pete

    Pete, Apr 17, 2006

  3. Pete

    dawg Guest

    I read an article somwhere about this.The board may support 4GB ram but that
    includes all types of memory including video memory.I wish I could find that
    article It explained the problem very well.

    dawg, Apr 17, 2006
  4. Pete

    Pete Guest

    Thanks for the info. Now, I will have to try and pull the video card and
    see how much RAM that I free up.

    I am starting to overclock so these systems are a bit amazing. RAM has very
    little effect on performance so far.

    I started overclocking with just two sticks in. The FSB is stable at 280
    MHz, now I am trying to find out where the CPU will top out. Then I might
    stick all the RAM back in and see what the performance hit will be.

    FWIW, the 64 bit version of Matlab with 64 bit windows appears to be slower
    than the same 32 bit version on my Barton when the chips are clocked to the
    same speed with the FFT. The in cache benchmarks are slightly higher for
    the Opteron.

    Best wishes,

    Pete

    Pete, Apr 18, 2006
  5. Pete

    Paul Guest

    Does your BIOS have a "Memory Hole for PCI MMIO" ?
    Try enabling that when using your 64 bit windows, and
    maybe you'll get to see more of the 4GB of memory.
    AFAIK, the AMD cpu has a memory mapper that can map the
    chunk of memory that overlaps with various I/O spaces,
    above the 4GB mark. But to get to use the memory, you
    need the right OS, such as your 64 bit version.

    Paul

    Paul, Apr 18, 2006
  6. Pete

    Pete Guest

    Thanks, Paul!!! You were dead on, enabling the memory hole got me the 4096
    MB of RAM. Normally you would think disabling memory holes would free RAM,
    but I guess because it is a hole you have to enable it.

    BTW, with 2 GB of RAM I have a stable overclock at 11x250@1.45 V. The XTC
    seems to like lower voltages like 2.5 V. Now see what I can squeeze out
    with 4 GBs in. For any number crunchers out there, some numerical
    calculations like the FFT are much slower than using a Barton clocked to the
    same speed. I have not figured this out, but I went to 64-bits for the
    larger memory.

    Best wishes,

    Pete

    Best wishes,

    Pete

    Pete, Apr 18, 2006
  7. Pete

    TonyC Guest

    All the help you'll ever need is right here... http://www.dfi-street.com/

    TonyC, Apr 18, 2006
  8. Pete

    dino Guest

    alot of manufacturers post this (or something similar) in their memory
    configuration charts

    Due to the South Bridge resource deployment, the system density will only be
    detected up to 3+ GB (not full 4GB) when each DIMM is installed with an 1GB
    memory module

    so this is from MSI NF4 SLi..this is then a limitation of the chipset. The
    board will not recognize anything more than 3.2 gig.
    as for the memory, the manual should tell you what DIMMS should be populated
    first, even if you only insert 1 stick.

    dino, Apr 19, 2006
  9. Pete

    dino Guest

    well..U got an answer already with the correct apparently. My reader hadn't
    updated so sry for the post

    dino, Apr 19, 2006
  10. Pete

    Pete Guest

    Thanks, I just signed up but still working on my sig file.

    Pete, Apr 19, 2006