Help! Strange things happening!!

Discussion in 'Apple' started by Daryl Rossi, Sep 10, 2003.

  1. Daryl Rossi

    Daryl Rossi Guest

    Lately I've been experiencing some rather strange behavior with my
    iMac G3 with OS 9.1.

    First, It locks up on the startup screen. The only way I can boot up
    is by holding down the Command (Apple) and "C" keys???

    Second, I frequently run out of memory attempting to open simple
    applications. In the Memory Control Panel it shows that Virtual Memory
    is ON, but when I open "About this computer" and "Apple System
    Profiler" it shows Virtual Memory is OFF. In fact it is OFF. I cannot
    turn it back ON!!!

    I have tried the following:
    •Ran Disk FirstAid
    •Ran Disk Warrior
    •Did a Clean-Install of the System Folder

    Same things still happening???!!!

    I would sincerely appreciate any help in solving these problems. An
    email would be welcome.

    Oh yeh, there is an empty folder in my trash titled "Jaws" with
    another empty folder inside titled "Nuts" that I cannot delete.

    Thanks,

    Daryl Rossi

    Daryl Rossi, Sep 10, 2003

  2. That is you boot from CD then?
    How did you do the latter?
    When you boot from CD-ROM, are you then able to empty the trash? Is the
    computer working all right when booted from CD-ROM?
    You may try to hold down the option key when you click on "empty trash". Does
    this help?

    Regards,
    Christoph Gartmann

    Immunbiologie
    Postfach 1169 Internet:
    D-79011 Freiburg, Germany

    Christoph Gartmann, Sep 10, 2003

  3. How much physical RAM do you have?

    How much free space is left on your drive? Perhaps your drive is too
    full to use VM?

    What, is any, message to you get when you try to empty the trah?

    Try making a new folder on the desktop and name it "Jaws". Put it in
    the trash and say, yes, you want to replace the folder. Then try again
    to trash. This sometimes works.

    I assume you tried holding down the Option key while emptying the trash?

    Cathy

    Cathy Stevenson, Sep 10, 2003
  4. Daryl Rossi

    Daryl Rossi Guest

    Hi Cathy;

    Thanks for the info about making a new folder - it worked!

    I have 128mb of physical RAM and have had VM turned ON since I bought
    the computer 2 years ago. I recently turned it OFF for a program that
    would'nt run with VM ON. I've since deleted that program.

    I have approximately 10gb of free space on the HD (20gb).

    Any idea why I can't start up without holding the COMMAND/C keys?

    Thanks,

    Daryl

    Daryl Rossi, Sep 11, 2003
  5. Shouldn't have any impact.
    Should be all right, too.
    If you mean that you don't boot from CD-ROM then but from the harddrive
    it sounds like a corrupted PRAM. Boot and press COMMAND + OPTION + P + R
    until you hear the chime three times (=> Parameter reset). Does this help?

    Regards,
    Christoph Gartmann

    Immunbiologie
    Postfach 1169 Internet: