Help support the new Embedded Systems site on Stack Exchange! Committo help get it running.

Discussion in 'Embedded' started by BabaBoHigh, Apr 15, 2014.

  1. BabaBoHigh

    BabaBoHigh Guest

    BabaBoHigh, Apr 15, 2014

  2. BabaBoHigh

    Paul Rubin Guest

    That site, Buffer Overrun or something like that, is reduced to spamming
    Usenet looking for more unpaid employees? Sheesh. I don't think even
    Expert Sex Change (the site Buffer Overrun was founded to compete with)
    resorted to the thing with referral codes. Does B. O. at least pay well
    for that? At least some of us stay here on Usenet because we like
    Usenet better than being in someone's walled garden. Although Google
    Groups has had a similar effect on Usenet in practice, at least it's
    possible to keep posting here by other routes.

    Paul Rubin, Apr 15, 2014

  3. BabaBoHigh

    Tim Wescott Guest

    referrer=UiO63Mqlrq3NQoDxGFgJ2A2

    We have a perfect spot right here. Why would we want to change?

    Stack Whatever sucks. I've tried it, and I can't stay with it.

    Tim Wescott, Apr 15, 2014
  4. It's great for looking up information already there, but the barriers
    for entry are too high and the one question I did ask did not get a
    usable answer.

    John Devereux, Apr 16, 2014
  5. BabaBoHigh

    Tim Wescott Guest

    I tried contributing to the robotic stack exchange for a while. My
    biggest complaint is that the moderator was really anal retentive about
    keeping a one-question, one-answer format. So when someone asked the
    wrong question you couldn't give an answer saying "you asked the wrong
    question, here's five possible questions that you should have asked".

    You _could_ prompt the original questioner to ask "the right question",
    but opportunities to have meaty discussions were pretty much stomped on.

    Tim Wescott, Apr 16, 2014
  6. BabaBoHigh

    Tom Gardner Guest

    My impression, as a user looking at google results, was that
    the questions were so narrow and answers so short that they
    didn't convey any useful/interesting information.

    That's fine if you only want technician-level answers to
    "which button do I press to turn the widget's edge purple?",
    but useless if you want engineering-level answers to "what are
    the relative merits of SFH vs DSSS vs OFDM?". (And nobody
    should interpret that as implying engineers are "better"
    in some way than technicians).

    It seems your considered judgement backs up my hasty opinion.

    Tom Gardner, Apr 16, 2014
  7. Tom Gardner schreef op 16-Apr-14 5:51 PM:
    Contrary to what the last few constributers said, my experiences are
    mostly very positive. I contribute regularly to
    electronics.stackexchange.com, which IMO has a very good signal/noise
    level. A lot of embedded questions are OK there too, als long as some
    hardware is involved.

    When I ask it is mostly about template stuff in C++, and
    stackoverflow.com gives good answers, and very quick.

    Wouter van Ooijen

    Wouter van Ooijen, Apr 16, 2014
  8. The point is that stackoverflow is about questions, not about
    discussion. So if you want a question answered, it's perfect. If you
    want opinions or discussion, your topics will get closed. Plus, it
    doesn't have threaded discussion because they think they're too complex
    for today's internet, Usenet being a "relic of the past"[1].

    Stefan

    Stefan Reuther, Apr 16, 2014
  9. The point is that stackoverflow is about questions, not about
    Agreed, and I agree to their decision, and I also like it that there are
    still places that allow discussions (otherwise I would not be here). So,
    back to the original post, which was in favour of an embedded
    stackexchange, not against this usenet list: good idea!

    Wouter van Ooijen

    Wouter van Ooijen, Apr 16, 2014
  10. BabaBoHigh

    NotReallyMe Guest

    FWIW the Linked-In groups are fairly good. Lots of homework questions
    though. Reminds me of here.

    Scott

    NotReallyMe, May 1, 2014
  11. BabaBoHigh

    Paul Rubin Guest

    Please don't repost those spammy affiliate links from that site. I
    edited that one out.

    Paul Rubin, May 1, 2014
  12. BabaBoHigh

    NotReallyMe Guest

    I must be missing something here. I have no idea what you mean.

    NotReallyMe, May 3, 2014
  13. BabaBoHigh

    Paul Rubin Guest

    You responded to a spam post where someone advertised a Spamexchange
    link with a referral code, aka an affiliate link. Affiliate links are a
    marketing scheme where if you click on one (or buy something through
    one, or whatever) the affiliate gets paid, which gives them incentive to
    promote the product being linked to. Such links can be legitimate in
    some contexts, such as if you use them on your own web site, but the way
    that one was posted on the newsgroup was rather annoying and spammy.

    In your own post, you reposted the spam link. I responded to you
    requesting that you not repost the spam link if you respond to a spam
    message. I hope that makes sense to you.

    Paul Rubin, May 3, 2014