    effectively transfer apps and their associated hierarchial folders
    (iPhoto, Mail, etc) and registered apps (Office, etc) from a MacBook
    (10.6.8) to the new MacBook Air? Thanks.

    Otto Pylot, May 27, 2012

  2. <http://support.apple.com/kb/HT4889>

    Michelle Steiner, May 27, 2012

  3. Otto Pylot

    Otto Pylot Guest

    Thanks Michelle. I followed the WiFi Migration Assistant and it didn't
    go well. No photos or music files were transferred, individual mail
    folders weren't transferred, Bookmarks never made it, registered apps
    are now unregistered, and Office 2011 was a mess. Spent a couple of
    hours on the phone with Apple support and at least got Mail functioning
    well. I think I know what I have to do tomorrow but another call to
    Apple will be in order. This is the first time in all of my previous
    Mac platforms and iterations that I've had these many problems. Thoth,
    obviously is fine but it took a little work as well.

    Otto Pylot, May 28, 2012
  4. There might have been a conflict with account names; if you had an account
    on the Air with the same name as the account you were migrating, that could
    have caused the problem.

    Michelle Steiner, May 28, 2012
  5. The best way is to using MA *before* creating any accounts on the new
    machine, and tell it to transfer the whole account. It will then create
    the account in the process, and make it a duplicate of the original.

    In fact, I was under the impression it would balk if you tried to use it
    to overwrite an account on the destination machine.

    Barry Margolin, May 28, 2012
  6. Of course, but one can't go back in time to do that if one already created
    the account. (One could erase the disk and do a scratch install, though.)
    If memory serves correctly, it will require you to change the name of the
    account, and that's where the mischief would occur because source and
    destination have different names.

    Michelle Steiner, May 28, 2012
  7. Otto Pylot

    Guest Guest

    Of course, but one can't go back in time to do that if one already created
    the account. (One could erase the disk and do a scratch install, though.)[/QUOTE]

    starting over and then migrating is highly recommended.
    actually, it's different user ids that's the issue.

    Guest, May 28, 2012
  8. Otto Pylot

    David Ritz Guest

    David Ritz, May 28, 2012
  9. Otto Pylot

    Otto Pylot Guest

    starting over and then migrating is highly recommended.
    actually, it's different user ids that's the issue.[/QUOTE]

    Thanks everybody. Both laptops were mine with the same account name so
    when I migrated, not thinking it thru, I did not create a new account
    with a new name and it went ahead and copied my folders anyway but not
    all of the associated files like bookmarks, plists, reg files, etc.
    After some futzing around, Mail is working just fine, browsers are ok
    but I do have to go back and forth to my MacBook to get the login info
    for my sites and re-save them on the Air. It's probably a good thing
    cause it gives me an opportunity to trim down my bookmarks to sites
    that I still visit frequently. With Office, I just deleted it and
    reinstalled from the installation disk which is probably always a good
    idea with a Microsoft product. I was hoping that MA would have given me
    an opportunity to migrate just what I wanted but again, this gives me
    the opportunity to clean out what I don't use anymore and become a
    little more familiar with 10.7.4 and all of its "newness". Not a fan of
    LaunchPad.

    Otto Pylot, May 29, 2012
  10. Otto Pylot

    JF Mezei Guest

    If you enable the root account, you can login through Apple's gui. The
    home directory is /var/root and it will be populated by the standard GUI
    directories sych as "Library" "Music" "Photos" etc.

    JF Mezei, May 29, 2012
  11. Otto Pylot

    Tom Stiller Guest

    Right I forgot about that since I never enable root. However, it is
    still the case that "root" and Mac OS X "System Administrator" are not
    the same thing.

    Tom Stiller, May 29, 2012
  12. Otto Pylot

    David Ritz Guest

    David Ritz, May 29, 2012
  13. Otto Pylot

    Tom Stiller Guest

    Tom Stiller, May 29, 2012
  14. Otto Pylot

    JF Mezei Guest

    If doing disk management, moving folders from one disk to another etc,
    there is a difference. The GUI Finder doesn't do an implied "sudo" for
    all opreations so many pperations on folders belonging to other users
    may not be permitted, or copies may be created under your own username
    instead of preserving the UIC of the oroginal file.

    Using the GUI under "root" fixes those issues. And using "sudo" in
    terminal mode also allows you to perform those operations without
    enabling root. However for some time of tasks, the gui ios simpler to
    use compared to using a little used utility and reading "man" carefully
    to ensure the copy operation preserves everything

    JF Mezei, May 29, 2012