Help upgrading my DP 450 (SuperDrive, video card, etc)

Discussion in 'Apple' started by adam drew, Jan 7, 2004.

  1. adam drew

    adam drew Guest

    Hey, all.

    My dual 450 G4 is still soldiering on with 10.3 quite well. However, I
    want to do a few things to perk it up a bit.

    First, I want a video card that supports Quartz Extreme. I'm not a
    gamer (have a PS2 for that)--I just want Exposé and all the new graphic
    gee-gaws to work smoothly. Any suggestions for a cheap card? I seem to
    remember that my machine can only use a 2x AGP card.

    I also want a SuperDrive. I replaced the original DVD-ROM with a 12x
    Sony CD-RW back in 2001, and it works fine, but I miss being able to
    watch DVDs on the computer--and I want to burn DVD's.

    Does anybody know the model number of the SuperDrive that comes in the
    last G4's? There shouldn't be any problems using it in my machine, right?

    I'll prolly buy everything on eBay.

    One more thing. iDVD 4 says that it requires a 733 MHz processor. My
    dualie should be okay, right?

    Thanks for all the help!
    Adam

    adam drew, Jan 7, 2004

  2. adam drew

    adam drew Guest

    andrewunix wrote:

    (snip)

    Awesome. Thanks for the good info.

    Adam

    adam drew, Jan 7, 2004

  3. adam drew

    Jim Guest

    Over the last year and a half I have installed a retail ATI Radeon 9000
    with ADC and DVI ports and a Pioneer A-105 in a DP 450 G4. This brought new
    life to that machine.

    Some things to note: The G4 is 2x AGP and ATI is the only card manufacturer
    that makes cards that have Mac firmware and are backwards compatible.
    Almost all ATI cards support 2x and 4x AGP so it is likely that that 8x, 4x
    and 2x card will work with the 2x AGP port on the G4. They also have the
    ADC port, if you need it. I am an avid gamer and the Radeon 9000 made many
    games playable, BUT because of the processor speeds and the 2x AGP the card
    doesn't even reach it's potential. No matter what my game settings are I
    get the same frames per second; it's the computer that can't send data to
    the card fast enough. It did work wonders, but there is no point in getting
    a better card than that. In fact, you would likely be better with a Radeon
    8500, which is a slightly faster and cheaper card with no ADC.

    As for the Pioneer A-105, it works flawlessly. I installed it and was able
    to burn with the finder as soon as it was booted. Everything works with it
    even though it doesn't have Apple's firmware. I usually use Toast, but as I
    said all the features of the SuperDrive and the OS are there.

    All the graphic gee-gaws work awesome and iDVD chugs along nicely. While it
    is no G5 it is still an amazing workhorse. It will take all I can throw at
    it, it just takes a bit more time.

    Ciao,

    atFault

    Jim, Jan 31, 2004