HELP! - why does this 2nd monitor insist on being here?

Discussion in 'Nvidia' started by Gargle, Oct 6, 2003.

  1. Gargle

    Gargle Guest

    grrrrr..... this has got to be a simple, plain as the nose on my
    face, type of problem and I am just missing something obvious?

    I set up a second PC here at the house. In is are the following main
    items...

    ASUS TUV4X Motherboard
    Aopen GeForce 4 MX 64 meg video card
    Hansol Elect. 500A Monitor

    ok - I installed Windows ME on this unit (hey it was kicking around
    and not being used so I installed it)

    Installed the latest patches etc for ME

    Installed the latest Via 4in1 drivers (4.49)

    Installed the latest Nvidia Detonator 45.23 drivers

    ok - now for some unknown reason Windows insists that I have 2
    monitors (I only have 1) on 2 video cards etc... the problem is that
    the main card as assumed by Windows wont let me use anything but
    640x480 resolution yet ont eh second monitor I can use anything up to
    1024 x 768 but of course windoze insists on using the 1st monitor and
    forcing me to use 640x480

    I have tried everything I can think of to tell windows that there only
    ONE monitor on ONE video card and that I want 1024 x 768 however it
    insits that I am nuts and forces me to 640 x 480 again and again...

    I can uninstall the Nvida drivers and go back to standard VGA and all
    is well on the proper number of monitors, but re-install those damn
    Nvida drivers and presto, back to the same problem.

    HELP.... getting frustrated.

    Gargle, Oct 6, 2003

  2. Gargle

    Biz Guest

    Does your video card have tv-out? If it does thats the other monitor.
    You've somehow gotten the primary and secondary monitor reversed, check the
    properties dialog boxes to correct that and then you should be all set.

    Biz, Oct 6, 2003

  3. Gargle

    Gargle Guest

    Does your video card have tv-out? If it does thats the other monitor.

    Hi Biz;

    Actually it is a Geforce 2 card - my mistake (the 4 is in the wife's
    PC)

    Anyway no it does not have TV out (this is a cheap cheap card) - I
    cannot find where to reverse the monitors under any properties dialog
    box for either the monitor(s) under the device mangler nor under the
    video display properties nor any of the tabs under that.

    Any other suggustions please... before I flatten this:)

    Gargle, Oct 7, 2003
  4. Gargle

    Jay Williams Guest

    In win98se
    Boot into safe mode. Delete both (all) monitors. Delete both (all) video
    cards. Reboot and re-install the drivers for the video card and monitor

    In Safe Mode, windows will show every driver that you have ever installed
    which left any traces in your machine. deleting them there usually does the
    trick for me. If that doesn't work, boot to dos mode and clear out your
    c:\temp and windows\temp directories.

    Jay Williams, Oct 9, 2003
  5. Gargle

    Gargle Guest

    Hi Jay;

    It's ME but seeing as they are basically the same I will try the
    uninstalls in safe mode and see where that gets me (doing it as I
    type). They seem to uninstall fine in normal mode - leaving me with a
    default monitor and Standard VGA compatible display etc... Here's
    hoping:).... Will know in a min so I will stay in the same post:) I
    also deleted the Windows temp files etc...

    Nope... Once I install the Nvidia Drivers - back comes the 2nd monitor
    and the same problem with the resolutions etc.. Thanks for the
    suggustion of Safe mode though - least we ruled that one out.

    Hey Nvidia! Any of your tech support folks read this forum?

    Gargle, Oct 9, 2003
  6. Gargle

    Gargle Guest

    Hey Nvidia! Any of your tech support folks read this forum?

    BUMP...

    Still wont go away... any final suggustions before I format and try again?

    Gargle, Oct 12, 2003
  7. Gargle

    Gargle Guest

    Gargle, Oct 12, 2003
  8. Gargle

    Lenny Guest

    This isn't a forum you silly-billy, it's a usenet newsgroup, and you don't
    need to "bump" threads here. In fact, depending on how you sort your
    messages they CAN'T be bumped...

    And no, Nvidia people don't read here because Nvidia doesn't provide support
    to end-users (read their website man). You need to contact the vendor of
    your card or PC system if it's a brand-name box.
    What was the problem again?

    Lenny, Oct 12, 2003
  9. Gargle

    Gargle Guest

    This isn't a forum you silly-billy, it's a usenet newsgroup,

    Whoops - Forgot that:)
    Well - I kinda figured that they would at least lcare enough about thier
    product to look through the newsgroups a bit - it is thier product that we
    talk about after all...
    Cutting a pasting the starting message:

    ....this has got to be a simple, plain as the nose on my
    face, type of problem and I am just missing something obvious?

    I set up a second PC here at the house. In is are the following main
    items...

    ASUS TUV4X Motherboard
    Aopen GeForce 2 MX 64 meg video card

    Gargle, Oct 12, 2003
  10. Gargle

    Lenny Guest

    Yeah, here and at a million other bloody places on the net, are they going
    to monitor all of those too? :) They just design and sell the chips. They
    don't support them (except to their customers of course). End of story. :)
    Try uninstalling the drivers one more time. Then boot to safe mode and kill
    the video card in the device manager (ie: delete it), then reboot once more
    and re-detect the card, re-install drivers etc. Also, make sure you have set
    the 'init graphics card on AGP first' option in your BIOS setup if you have
    one. This is really only needed if you got more than one graphics card in
    your system, it lets you select wether AGP or PCI is the primary display,
    but I figured it couldn't hurt... Heh. Also, if your MX is one of those
    jobbies with two VGA ports on it you could try switching your monitor to the
    other port, or use a different VGA cable in case the cable's damaged in some
    way and so the card can't properly detect your monitor.

    Good luck...

    Lenny, Oct 12, 2003
  11. Gargle

    Darthy Guest

    Step 1 : Uninstall WindowsME
    Step 2 : Install SUSE Linux 8.2

    problem solved...

    OR

    RIght CLICK on the monitor, and select or DE-SELECT "Enable monitor".

    if still dont work, reboot into save mode, REMOVE ALL monitors out of
    device manager... reboot.

    Darthy, Oct 13, 2003
  12. Gargle

    Gargle Guest

    Tried it - no dice...

    Frustrated, I totally wiped the machine, checked the bios to ensure
    that AGP was selected as the primary display, and then re-installed
    ME.

    After I re-installed ME, before ANY updates, software, or anything, I
    installed the drivers... BANG... back comes the 2 monitor problem yet
    again.

    Gargle, Oct 13, 2003
  13. Gargle

    Darthy Guest

    Try another video card... there could be a good chance the 2nd port
    connector is damaged or if it doesn't have one, the card is defective
    and is perhaps thinking it does...

    A clean install should have fixed it no matter what.

    There will always be a 2nd monitor in the display control panel... but
    it shouldn't be active until you tell it so.

    Darthy, Oct 14, 2003
  14. Gargle

    Gargle Guest

    A clean install should have fixed it no matter what.

    Agreed.
    Well - the second monitor (#2) is not active - it is greyed out - however
    the primary monitor (#1) while being active will nto allow me to do moe than
    640x480 at 16bit color.... However I can adjust #2 to be 1024x768 @ 32bit
    color etc... All I really want is to be able to adjust #1 to [email protected]
    either 16 bit or 32 bit color which it wont let me do...

    I since removed ME and tried Windows NT 4.0 and got the associated drivers
    etc and wit worked fine (but I can't use - some software I want to put on
    this box don't behave under NT 4)

    Currently installing 98se and see where that gets me.
    Remember monochrome Hercules Graphics cards? RLL and MFM drives? 8086 and
    8088 processors? Low level formatting via Debug? Oh the fun of it all:)

    Gargle, Oct 14, 2003
  15. Gargle

    nobody Guest

    If you video card has tv-out or something similar that's probably where the
    second monitor is coming from. As for not being able to set the first monitor
    properly, make sure it says the correct model from the correct manufacturer
    instead of something like "standard 14' monitor" or at least PnP monitor or you
    won't be able to change the settings to a higher resolution/color depth.

    nobody, Oct 14, 2003